1 Piece mold or two piece mold

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

1 Piece mold or two piece mold

Postby Small Water Pro » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:42 pm

OK I'm new so as I start making lures, My question is When should I use 1 piece molds and when to use 2 piece molds? Which is best or whats the difference. Just want to understand more on molds. Please help get me started as I just ordered a bunch of products to get started. Thanks so much. Steve
Small Water Pro

Re: 1 Piece mold or two piece mold

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:23 am

Your question is pretty general, but as a rule I use a one piece mold when ever I can get away with it! The shape of the object usually dictates the type of mold. Check out the tutorials on makelure.com and it will give you a better idea.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: 1 Piece mold or two piece mold

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 am

To add to Larry's post ... there are many types of one piece molds ... open (bait usually has a flat side, area, or seam to pour from) and split molds (has small area to pour from but then a cut down the side of the mold to relieve bigger sections) are the most popular. 2 piece molds are usually for lures that don't matter if they have a seam line OR they can't pour any other way (can't get away with a one piece) due to the shape or dimensions of the lure.

If you have specific questions on a lure, don't hesitate to call us to discuss it. I don't recommend just starting to pour stuff without having a good game plan and idea of how you will pour it and how it will work. 800 447-9344

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making