Resin questions

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Resin questions

Postby Shaane » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:37 pm

I have made a couple of segmented swimbaits with good results. I have been using the pale yellow casting resin pouring into quickset rtv. I am using eye screws in one segment and drilling a hole through the lure and using a steel rod. I am considering using the clear casting resin so I can be more precise (I can see the drill bit as I drill) with the hole. It is a small lure, not a lot of room for error. My questions:
1 is the clear casing resin as hard as the yellow when it sets up
2 can it be painted,
3 the clear has a long demold time, will this shorten the life span of my quickset rtv mold
4 what chemical do you recommend I clean the resin with before painting? Alcohol, lacquer thinner etc?
Thanks
Shaane

Re: Resin questions

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:13 am

hi shaane
Yes, the clear is very hard. I use it for the clear heads on large marlin lures and it holds up very well. yes, it can be painted. I have yet to determine the life of the molds. I have yet for one to "wear out", and I have some that are over ten years old and have been used hundreds of times.
If a mold begins to get a little dry it can be brought back to life by coating it with a little silicone oil.
When using clear, it's usually a good idea to pre heat the mold in your micro-wave until it feel warm (not hot) to the touch. also make sure you stir it well and let it sit for just a little for the bubbles to rise out before you pour it.
the one suggestion I might offer is to build your mold with the steel rod already in place, but make the rod so it extends a half inch or more outside the body of the lure. Coat the wire pin thoroughly with mold release. after the resin sets up you can pull the pin and you will have a hole right where it's supposed to be.
A far as cleaning before painting, I would suggest using what ever solvent is for thinning the paint you've chosen.
If it's water based, use alcohol.
We'd love to see your creation. If you have a few moments please post it on the makelure site!

All good questions! wishing you best of success,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Resin questions

Postby Shaane » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Thanks Larry, I forgot to pre place the rods in the original before I poured the mold. I made my original out of wood in one piece, after I pour then I cut it up into sections, drill, install eye screws etc. I am leary of posting pics as this is my own copy of a lure on the market, I don't know if I will get in trouble.
Thanks again
Shaane

Return to Lure Making