Painting tips for rainbow trout whiggleys

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Painting tips for rainbow trout whiggleys

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:27 am

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... 0d4563.jpg

If you wanna do up your whiggleys to make them look extra sexy, Let me recommend these tips:

1.) Whatever green lure dye you plan on using, add it to your alumisol and add in pearlescent powder for a little extra sparkle. Then add in black flake and mix well so it evenly distributes. This helps give the illusion of several small black pigments to save you some work.
2.) I took some pink pigment (in this case it's called flamingo pink), I get a small shallow dish, scoop some powder into it, then I take some extra fine glitter that matches up with the flamingo pink pretty well and dust the powder pigment with it then mix it together with a paint brush. This gives you the pink pigment with a ton of extra flash because of the fine glitter.
3.) Once you're ready to pour your whiggley, paint the top part of the 2 part mold with some black powder pigment for contrast. If you're feeling snazzy you can paint the bottom with a pearlescent pigment or a hyper pearl/green. I use pearl/green because I just do that's why.
4.) Pour your bait. Let cool down completely.
5.) Remove your whiggley and touch up any areas that may not have gotten coated with either your black pigment or your pearl green, then it's time to hand paint on your pink pigments where needed.
6.) Once you've painted on your pink pigment, take an alcohol based black marker and go in and add in larger sized spots. These larger size spots mixed with the black flake that you cooked into your plastic really makes your lures look trouty!
7.) add your eyes and crap
8.) Clear coat it to make it look extra snappy.

You have yourself a wicked awesome fish catching whiggley sure to turn some heads.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Painting tips for rainbow trout whiggleys

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Looks good, thx for the process.

I typically pour mine white, dry erase marker it, AlumiDust it, and torch it to lock it in.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making