Looking For Heavy Duty Salt Water Fly Tying Vise

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Looking For Heavy Duty Salt Water Fly Tying Vise

Postby Bluhemi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:44 am

Hi guys I am new to the site and look forward to learning from you and adding what I can. There are a ton of great topics and ideas that you don't find ANYWHERE else. I knew I wasn't the only crazy person out there. I am a muskie fisherman who uses huge baits (up to 30") and specialty rigs. What I am looking for is a very heavy duty salt water fly tying vise that will hold up to 10/0 hooks. I am not go to make flies but need a large secure hook vise. I have searched the web and this site as well and nothing has grabbed my attention as being a stand out device. Any recommendations or thoughts. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of the board. Thanks John
Bluhemi

Re: Looking For Heavy Duty Salt Water Fly Tying Vise

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 am

Welcome to the site! I've not found a dedicated fly vise that will hold ten/0 hooks. I use a conventional vise and a vice grip when hooks get too big for my vises.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bluhemi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 am

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that method a few times. It looks like what I may end up doing. So many great ideas on this board. It looks like a great place to spend some time, Thanks again !!
Bluhemi

Postby Driftboat Greg » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:39 am

I've been on the lookout for the same thing. I tie large bucktails 5-6-8 ounces. I couldn't find a fly tying vise large enough so I bought a small hobby bench vise from Harbor Freight for about 26 bucks. The vise rotates from a small set of jaws to a large set. http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae24 ... 42cad8.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Driftboat Greg

Postby topwater » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Renzetti Saltwater Traveler is one that I have used for jigs upto 4 oz and 9/0 hooks.
topwater

Return to Lure Making