Microballoons and other questions

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Microballoons and other questions

Postby Shaane » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:13 am

I just picked up microballoons and want to add them to my two part resin for a swimbait. I am assuming if I add 100% balloons to the mix the result will be very bouyant requiring more weight to achieve a Rof (rate of fall). Can you supply me with a base line? Is 50% balloon a safe place to start, 75%? The lure I am working on is small, only 4" long and by the time I cut it into segments, add eye screws I only have a limited area where I can drill and add lead/tungsten for weight.

Regarding Microballoons and soft plastic, if I have problems with a soft plastic (whiggley) not staying upright in the water can I add tungsten or lead to the belly on the bottom half of the pour and microballons to the top half to remedy the problem? has anybody tried this with success?

Also what material do you recommend for storing soft plastic lures, other companies offer "worm oil" for storage in plastic bags, I don't see on the alumilite website any type of material that is recommended for storage.

Thanks;
Shaane

Re: Microballoons and other questions

Postby Seachaser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:00 pm

On swimbaits, I begin with a quarter cup(that is supplied) and go from there. Sometimes that is even too much. Depends on weight of hardware and how fast you want it to sink. There is no hard or fast rule.
Seachaser

Re: Microballoons and other questions

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 am

AnglinArcher put together a density chart comparing Alumilite White with Microballoons as well as Alumilite's rigid foams to different types of wood. That is probably the best reference for you to dial in your bait. You can view AnglinArcher's chart by going to http://www.makelure.com then going to the Lure Photos page. It is located about half way down on the far left hand side (on my screen - may be positioned differently on your monitor/settings). The name it is submitted under is Donald H.

In basic terms ... 25-30% microballoon fill by volume into Alumilite resins will make a neutrally buoyant lure (not including any hardware, hooks, through wire, etc), 50% will make a nice, easy floating topwater bait, and going up to 100% will give you a very buoyant topwater that shoots to the surface.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making