Microballoons

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Microballoons

Postby Fomen38 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:18 am

Larry,
I know someone has probably asked this question before- multiple times, but I didn't have the time to search through the forum for the question and/or answer. The question is this- can you use microballoons with alumisol to make your plastics neutrally buoyant or even make them float? Can the microballoons handle the high heat from the alumisol before it's poured into the mold? If you can, what are the ratios of alumisol to microballoons.
Also, I know there are companies out there that make competitive products (plastisol). They sell 2 versions of plastisol- saltwater and freshwater. They claim the difference between the two is the density of the cured plastics, the saltwater being denser/harder than the freshwater. Is this just a scam? I mean, can't you control the density of the cured plastic by adding hardener or softener to the mix? Isn't that why alumilite sells hardener and softener in conjunction with their alumisol?
Thanks for your time and feedback.

Scott Allen
Fomen38

Re: Microballoons

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Yes, you are totally right about controlling the hardness or softness of plastisol. I would not call it a scam, it's just that sometimes saltwater guys on average might prefer a bit harder plastic than the freshwater guys. And yes, you can add microballoons to make it even more buoyant. The balloons will make the plastic white of course, but you can dye it to get what ever color you want except clear or translucent. To achieve the opposite effect you can add tungsten powder to the plastic also.
good luck, and good questions!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making