Whiggley

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Whiggley

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:06 am

Got my mr whiggley design dialed in. I'm getting ready for cape cod in June. I wanted to bring a bunch along to dominate the stripers. Here's my attempt:

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... 49d277.jpg

does the action look correct?

http://youtu.be/IsU0xT8QCHw
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Whiggley

Postby Shaane » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Wow, that looks really good in the water, you should catch a lot of fish with that action, thanks for the video. Are you so dialed in that you don't need tungsten in the belly, i didn't see any black along the bottom.
Shaane

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:02 pm

I actually pour about half the mold then drop in some steel shot for the belly weight (roughly a dozen). Saves me the trouble of having to pour two kinds of plastic.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:53 am

You've got it rhett! Look out fish! Try rod with much stiffer tip, burn, stop, twitch, twitch, burn, stop, burn, stop!! Also semi spastic half turn snaps with the reel handle as you're cranking along with short bounces with the rod tip.
For stripers super long casts, medium burn with twitches while reeling, fast burn 100 feet out, dead stop at 60 feet out, pause one second, resume twitch and burn.
As fish closes on boat and you can see it, (and unfortunately it can see you also) try to "read" its' attitude as you vary your retrieve. Try to figure out what it takes to get them to react by observing their reaction to what you do with the lure.

Nice work!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:22 am

That is super useful retrieval info, Larry. Thank you so much! I can't wait to test these bad boys out. I'm working on about a 4.75" whiggley right now as well just for some variety. Had one design finished but wasn't satisfied with the action so i'm on my second version right now. Trying to get the action similar to this large one.

This bait is roughly 12" maybe a little better than that... what size treble would you recommend? 4/0 or bigger?

-Rhett
RhettWheeler

Postby Fogeljazz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Looking good, Rhett! Nice action on your Whiggley. Gotta work on a new prototype and get it to work like that. My last one crashed and burned :)
Fogeljazz

Postby dahlberg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 am

Regarding the hook it depends on what you're after. I'd use a 5/0 minimum on the foot long version.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:07 am

Got it! Thanks Larry, appreciate you! One more question: What color pattern do you like to use best for the cape cod stripers?
So far I've made pearl, blue herring, redhead, orange/pearl red tail
Last edited by RhettWheeler on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:09 am

Fogeljazz wrote:
> Looking good, Rhett! Nice action on your Whiggley. Gotta work on a new
> prototype and get it to work like that. My last one crashed and burned :)

Really focus on making that head shape conical. when you get the head shape with the correct taper it's magic. Took me a long time to get it correct. Almost a year lol.
RhettWheeler

Postby Fogeljazz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:28 pm

RhettWheeler wrote:
> Really focus on making that head shape conical. when you get the head shape with the
> correct taper it's magic. Took me a long time to get it correct. Almost a year lol.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Larry said something along those lines as well. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions on the dimensions of your Whiggley? You said your Whiggley is 12" long, How high and how wide is it? Also, your head is tapered not only top to bottom, but also side to side? To create a more cone shaped head? Lastly, what Alumisol/softener mix do you use?
I hope you don't mind me asking these questions. But your Whiggley has the exact action I'd like to achieve :)

Brgds
Emil
Fogeljazz

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:28 pm

6cm tall by about 3cm wide.

the majority of the taper is top to bottom, but I also do it side to side to form a cone. So Yes.

I use roughly 4:1 on alumisol to softener.
RhettWheeler

Postby Fogeljazz » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:36 am

Thanks a lot, Rhett.
That means that the hight of the bait is 1/5 of the length and the width is 1/10 of the length. If that's a good ratio for the dimensions (and judging from your video, it is) then my versions have been to skinny. Maybe that's why they don't swim properly. Maybe the body is too thin to exert any force in the water and it only goes straight as an arrow?

I'll try making a new master and use your dimensions as guidelines. Will report back with an update later.

Thanks again!

Brgds
Emil
Fogeljazz

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 am

Let me know how it works!
RhettWheeler

Postby thefinnishminnow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Hey Rhett,

Your whiggley is really 3cm wide at the head? as in, over an inch thick? Reason I ask is that I am thinking about starting a whiggley project and I wouldn't have thought to make it that thick

Thanks
pat
thefinnishminnow

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

thefinnishminnow wrote:
> Hey Rhett,
>
> Your whiggley is really 3cm wide at the head? as in, over an inch thick? Reason
> I ask is that I am thinking about starting a whiggley project and I wouldn't have
> thought to make it that thick
>
> Thanks
> pat

No, sorry it's 1.5cm thickx 3cm tall. Thank you for asking that, I totally put the wrong measurement up. Sorry about that fogeljazz!!! <----use these dimensions! Wow that was a major error i had dimensions for something else written nearby and looked at the wrong thing.
RhettWheeler

Postby thefinnishminnow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Ya, just didn't seem right those dimensions, ha
your whiggley looks awesome though. definitely some good craftsmanship there
thefinnishminnow

Postby Fogeljazz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:31 am

RhettWheeler wrote:
>
> No, sorry it's 1.5cm thickx 3cm tall. Thank you for asking that, I totally put the
> wrong measurement up. Sorry about that fogeljazz!!! <----use these dimensions! Wow
> that was a major error i had dimensions for something else written nearby and looked
> at the wrong thing.

Hehe, thought it seemed kinda thick so that explains it :mrgreen:
No worries, it happens. Nice to know that my originial dimensions wasn't too far off, even if it didn't work.
Fogeljazz

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am

Yeah that would have been waaaaay too thick. Thanks again for catching that! Good luck you guys, post some pics when you start getting your designs dialed in!
RhettWheeler

Postby topwater » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:36 am

Cape Cod in June: pearl, herring (blue over pearl, some pink in the sides), and mackerel (green or blue).
topwater

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:42 am

topwater wrote:
> Cape Cod in June: pearl, herring (blue over pearl, some pink in the sides), and mackerel
> (green or blue).
Awesome, thank you so much for the tips! I may dust up some mackerel colors in the mold then take an alcohol based marker to get in there and draw in the mackerel lines.
RhettWheeler

Postby Fogeljazz » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 pm

I think I've finally got my Whiggley-design dialed in. Larry, Mike and Rhettwheeler, please check my video and see what you think.
It's about 9,5" long and this version has 8 grams of lead in it, right under the head.

http://youtu.be/Z1xTfSE7y24

Btw, I called it "Larry" in honor of it's original creator :mrgreen:
Fogeljazz

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:36 pm

You have got it! Congrats! I'm honored, and flattered1! The only thing I've had named after me prior was a small pet turtle belonging to Zoey and Cooper, who belong to a friend of mine!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:15 am

You nailed it brotha! Great work man!!!!
RhettWheeler

Postby Fogeljazz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Did a little fishing and testing yesterday. Caught two somewhat decent pike at around 6-7 lbs on the "Larry". They totally hammered it, even though I retrieved it quite fast and it was only 4 degrees celsius in the water. So it really seems to be working.
Fogeljazz

Return to Lure Making