Wiggly Tail Attachment

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Wiggly Tail Attachment

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:01 am

One of the first lures I made was a wiggly, but couldn't quite get the tail right. I didn't want the mold to go to waste so I made a mold of a second tail design. What I've been doing is snipping the old tail, taking a hot knife and attaching the new tail. Then carefully clear coating over that. Any forseeable issues with this method? I'm thinking the tail may pop off a little easier, but initial testing seems to point to a really solid tail action (so far) More testing today. Any other methods to attach the tail separately aside from creating a totally new mold anyone can think of?
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Wiggly Tail Attachment

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm

I think your process will fit your intentions just fine. Basically you are trying to prove the concept without exhausting more silicone. Once you prove your new design out, then and only then would I recommend making a new mold.

The only thing I would add is a small bottle of super glue in the boat IF you see it starting to separate on your seam. A tiny dot would be enough to lock it up for the rest of your trip at least.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: Wiggly Tail Attachment

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Mike.

Been testing it the last two days and it's coming out pretty well. The action looks great. The tail actually fastens pretty good! I was surprised. I'll def. keep some super glue on hand for the exact situation you mentioned.

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making