Creating a void within a lure

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Creating a void within a lure

Postby toyotajon93 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:26 am

Hey guys,

I have an idea but not sure what the best way to do this is.

I am wanting to create an empty space in a lure in order to insert a few tungsten beads for weight and rattle. I'd like the to float free in the space or be strung on a small piece of wire etc. I could encapsulate the beads in glass but I'm not sure how to do that. Any thoughts at all? I can explain more, working on a possible future submission to lure buildoff.
toyotajon93

Re: Creating a void within a lure

Postby dahlberg » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:19 am

There are many different approaches you could take, depending on what the lure's made of in the first place.
To begin with, it might be easiest to build your rattle device, then drill out a spot and adhere it. Once you've got weight and placement figured out, make your mold so it accommodates your rattle.
One thing that can sometimes be problematic is the heat generated when the material kicks in is sometimes enough expand the insert and cause it to crack and fill with resin.
Another angle is to use thin walled metal tubing with rattles inside and plugs on each end, which is pretty easy to incorporate into your mold. Any hobby store has a wide selection of tubing in different diameters and metals.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Creating a void within a lure

Postby toyotajon93 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks Larry, I'm still learning alot so I will post some pics when I get some things figured out. Love the idea of a metal tube.
toyotajon93

Return to Lure Making