Wire Diameters for lures

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Wire Diameters for lures

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

Just wondering what is the smallest diameter wire i'd want to use for a spinnerbait for bass.

Also what is the smallest diameter wire i'd want to use for making pike/muskie spinners.

Reason I'm asking is I want to buy a boggs tackle maker and want to know which conversion kits I should purchase.

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Wire Diameters for lures

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:16 am

Rhett,

Good questions ... we cover and stock the basics wire sizes in a thin, medium, and heavy thickness in brass and stainless. I'd recommend the .035" for small beetle spin type baits ... .043" for regular tandem blade spinnerbaits ... and .051" for any game fish that are heavier.

I'd recommend getting the heaviest conversion kit they have for the tacklemaker. That is the way we order them. You can always bend lighter wire with the heavier pin but can not go the other way. Yes, the smaller pin makes tighter and smaller wraps for smaller wire however if you are going to use it for a bunch of different types of wire, go big.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Perfect. Thanks for the info!

This is going to be fun.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby topwater » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 am

I actually tend to go lighter on the spinnerbait wire: .030 or .035 for bass spinnerbaits (1/4 - 3/8 oz). Prefer the piano wire. The thinner wire will give you more vibration. Yes, you'll trash the baits quicker and often have to bend them back into shape after you catch a good bass, but you'll end up catching more.
topwater

Return to Lure Making