build-off winner announced

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

build-off winner announced

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 am

On Oct 11, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Larry Dahlberg" <larry@dahlberg.net> wrote:

Dear Waylan,

Congratulations! Your spoon design has been judged the winner in the Lure Build off for 2013! Specifically the weighted design with rattles.

We feel it fills a niche, specifically in the redfish category and of all the lures submitted has in our judgement “moved the category forward” and serves a need.

As you may know, other non-metal spoons have been manufactured and marketed. Most widely distributed was a version done by Rapala in both weedless and non-weedless with a treble, which was discontinued due to lack of success in the market.

Nonetheless, we feel that your spoon (especially dressed with a scented soft plastic or strip of fish), due to its’ broader shape is better suited to the shallow environments and slower presentation often required for redfish than the narrower Rapala spoon. (Which incidentally had a very poor hook)

Unfortunately, due to the fact the design has no patentable features and the earlier lack of success in the category. The manufacturer has opted not to put it into production at this time.

As you may know, the alternate prize in this case involves engineering help plus a few things to help prime the pump in the event you may want to begin small scale hobby manufacturing and sales of your own:

*If the winning lure does not meet the manufacturer’s criteria of being a worthwhile investment in terms of tooling, manufacturing and development, although the winner will not have their lure put into production, they will receive $1,000 of Alumilite products and $1,000 worth of Alumilite Engineering services to assist in furthering the development and/or other production venues of the inventor’s design. They will also receive $2,000 worth of River2Sea products, and a cash prize of $1,000.*.

Again, my congratulations on a job well done! I’m glad you hung in there for the second year and continued to refine your design.

Best regards,

Larry
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: build-off winner announced

Postby DakineLures » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 am

Congradations!!!
DakineLures

Postby CChiefish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Congrats to the winner. Just wondering who the top ten finalist were. Can that be posted Thanks for allowing me to get in the contest.
Mark Chief Torrez
CChiefish

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:06 am

Great job to the winner. I had a feeling that was going to be the one! It was a very well done design!

Congrats!
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby NachoDaddysLures » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:39 am

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update on how Lure businesses has been since I won the 2013 build-off.
It took almost 2 years to get the molds and the process ironed out after the contest, but with help from Mike and the Engineers at Alumilite it was fairly painless. I have now been selling Nacho Daddy’s Spoons for 3 years. I found I had a lot to learn about the industry. So growth the first 2 years was slow but steady. Even though I still have a lot to learn 2018 Nacho Daddy’s Lures has seen the most growth. We started a website NachoDaddysLures.com and also have 10 dealers along the Texas Gulf Coast and recently picked up a dealer in Louisiana.
I’m still hand making each lure in my garage while working a full time job, but with the help of a few family members I’m keeping up with the demand. I can not Thank Larry and Mike enough! Without them there would be no way I could have done this on my own.
NachoDaddysLures

Return to Lure Making