Lures Going Cloudy in Freshwater

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lures Going Cloudy in Freshwater

Postby randywells » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Hello, First off I just have to say that my friends and I all use your products and are extremely impressed. Love making lures, its addictive. I am make my lures using the following reciepe: 6 cups alumlight soft plastic, 2 oz of softener, and a few drops of heat stablizer. The reciepe is good, good movement and flexibility. I do 4 dips to get the shape, air bursh the paint and design and then do a final full dip. However, after using the lures for about and hour to hour and a half, in freshwater lakes, the lures are going milky. After I let them dry, by the next day they come back to full color. Question...... what can I do to stop the milkyness from happeneing. I store all my lures in fish oil, the good stuff not the cooking fish oil. Please advise. Thanks Randy
randywells

Re: Lures Going Cloudy in Freshwater

Postby dahlberg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:09 am

hmm. that's a first for me. I suspect it may have something to do with the multiple layers and water migration, but that's just a wild guess.
what kind of paint are you using?
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby randywells » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:44 am

We are all using the lureworks soft plastic paints. Some of us are using the regular lureworks paint and some use thelureworks water based paint. We do three staging dips (at 1 inch, 2 inch and 3 inch marks), then one full dip, paint then the final full dip. This allows us to get the proper girth on the bait. We all use flat metal blades formed to the size and lenght. We were hoping that there was a sealer or something to correct the problem. Any suggestions? We fish Va and Tennessee waters so we have eliminated and pollution issues or hardwater issues.
randywells

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Is it only on the outer surface where it is painted or is it "inside" the soft plastic that is changing? I've never heard of this either??
Mike - Alumilite

Postby randywells » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 pm

As far as I can tell it is the outer coat. Not the painted. We dip the last coat, paint and eyes and all. This way everything is completely covered and sealed. Like I stated it hapens just about an hour of so of using the baits. After they completely dry they go back to orginal color. Can I send you one to try and see if it does it to you. I store them in fish oil so I dont think that is an issue either.
randywells

Postby randywells » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Sorry it looks like its coming from the inside. There is nothing to wipe off. One note, my baits are hollow belly.
randywells

Postby randywells » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Sorry it looks like its coming from the inside. There is nothing to wipe off. One note, my baits are hollow belly. Its more visible in dark colors
randywells

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Please feel free to send one and I'll see what I can figure out.

Alumilite Corp
Attn: Mike
315 E. North St.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Mike - Alumilite

Postby randywells » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks, I will put one in the mail too ya. Appreciate the help.
randywells

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:52 am

I'm suspecting a little moisture is sneaking between layers.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making