What do you guys think of the entries for the Lure Build Off

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

What do you guys think of the entries for the Lure Build Off

Postby DirtyHarry » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Hey Everyone! What do you guys think of all the entries? I think a lot of them are pretty good.
DirtyHarry

Re: What do you guys think of the entries for the Lure Build

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:36 am

wouldn't mind having a bunch of 'em in my tackle box!
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby DirtyHarry » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:36 pm

I don't know if I am allowed to ask this but has anyone received a request for sample lures? I have not, which is a bummer.
DirtyHarry

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:42 pm

To be honest, it is a mixed bag in my opinion. :|

I did not give a 5 last time, but I did this time, so in that respect, there are some awesome submittals.

On the other hand, I gave out far more 1's and 2's this time, so in that respect, there are some real stinkers.

The nice thing is that I did not compete this year so I feel I can be fair and unbiased. I do agree, there are a couple, one in particular, that I would like to get my hands on. :idea:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby JLURE » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:13 am

There were some good submissions! I agree, the submissions were really good or poor. I think in order to vote you should have to leave some type of feedback. We need more criticism and or compliments for the contest entries. I seen many lures with creative new concepts and lures with perfected detail but few with a combination of a new concept and attention to detail.
JLURE

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Last year I tried to leave feedback on YouTube and it made for a war that I did not want. I asked for feedback and got none.

Perhaps if the feedback option was AFTER the contest was over..... I think feedback is important but I won't give it. :twisted: :|
aka anglinarcher

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Well the voting on the designs really doesn't even count in the long run.

I think people were down voting a lot of designs, because in some way they think it'll help them? Seriously, there's not a design with a user vote above like a 3 so, it's not very credible in my opinion. There's some lures in there that are definitely really good and deserve a 4 or a 5 in my eyes.

Shoot I mean, I even had someone on youtube give my video a thumbs down as if that would matter haha.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby JLURE » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:12 pm

HA HA HA Great Lure; bad video........

Rhett, Next year I'm going to have you paint my lure before the lure submission, then I will defiantly win. 2014 Team Lure build off

RhettWheeler wrote:
> Well the voting on the designs really doesn't even count in the long run.
>
> I think people were down voting a lot of designs, because in some way they think
> it'll help them? Seriously, there's not a design with a user vote above like a 3
> so, it's not very credible in my opinion. There's some lures in there that are definitely
> really good and deserve a 4 or a 5 in my eyes.
>
> Shoot I mean, I even had someone on youtube give my video a thumbs down as if that
> would matter haha.
JLURE

Postby DirtyHarry » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Haha a thumbs down on youtube might just count. The contest details do not specify! I can agree either the bait was awesome or pretty bad by hey doesn't matter what I think. I just really enjoyed making my bait and catching bass on it. This contest forced me to go from carving to casting in plastic. I had to develop my method rather quickly. Now that I can cast them out of plastic, and not have to carve them, I can produce them rather quickly and I now plan to sell some which is a huge step above where I was. So for me its a win win. I have reluctantly sold a few to a few close fishing buddies but I really hate too. Just going to have to suck it up.

I do think a feedback requirement to vote would be awesome. It could be anonymous. Last years winner had a 2.05 there were quite a few higher then that. There is always something I could change with my baits. I must say a few of my fishing buddies have made some suggestions on my bait, I have implemented a few of those with a great deal of success.
DirtyHarry

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 am

Team Lure Build Off, that'd be sweet.
RhettWheeler

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 am

Dirty, I tend to agree. My best entries last year were the results of need, my need. I did not create to "win" but to solve problems I had.

If I were to actually make them to sell, I would need input from more then just my friends.
aka anglinarcher

Postby DirtyHarry » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:57 pm

It does help when several of your friends are engineers who fish bass tourney's about every weekend. They may not be Larry or the guys at river2sea but as close as I could come. :D
DirtyHarry

Postby JLURE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 am

I decided to bump this topic back to the top of the forum. Has anyone hears anything about the finalist?

DirtyHarry wrote:
> I don't know if I am allowed to ask this but has anyone received a request for sample
> lures? I have not, which is a bummer.
JLURE

Postby dahlberg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 am

hey guys,
never forget the old saying, "build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door"! Some interesting entries, top ten have been chosen to submit samples. Of course, at the end of the day the fish has to be the judge, but obviously there are lots of other criteria to consider when it comes to actual production and distribution! Thanks to all the entrants, hope the process has been enjoyable and you've grown your own "body of knowledge" as a result!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JLURE » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Hey Larry

When are you guys sending the emails out? I'm still waiting for mine so I can send my lures.
JLURE

Postby DirtyHarry » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Me too! haha. The fish have spoken!
DirtyHarry

Postby CChiefish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:13 pm

I think the communication could have been a little better. Like who were the finalists. That's my Two Cents lol.
Mark Chief Torrez
CChiefish

Return to Lure Making