Small thin-walled mold

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Small thin-walled mold

Postby r2grom » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:16 pm

good day, I'm trying to make a small hollow thin-walled silicone mold of an object similar to a sewing thimble. Is there a how to video to help me make this mold or anyone that can show me how to set it up?? thanks John I.
r2grom

Re: Small thin-walled mold

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 pm

go to the alumilite site. only question is which of several ways you want to do it.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:02 pm

What's the purpose of the thin walled mold? Can you tell us what the piece is you are trying to mold?

My initial thought not knowing anymore is to use the Mold Putty ... cures in 10 minutes and you can make it as thin as you'd like. An overview video can be found here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7oLIFB9A0

Here is a quick video showing our yellow version of the putty to give you the jist of how it works ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qo9mjGqJ-Y

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby r2grom » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks Larry and Mike for the fast reply... much appreciated.
The mold I'm making is for a new type of anchovy teaser head. It is similar to the one on the link below

http://www.activetackle.com/Homepage/Fi ... fault.aspx

Mine will be used with a specific soft bait instead of frozen or live bait. I'm not sure if the putty will work.
I think I may have to make a two part silicone mold and suspend the piece to get all of the details.

Thanks again for all of your help.

John I.
r2grom

Postby r2grom » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:51 pm

ve a simple drawing posted to the link below that shows what I'm planning to try.

http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/r2gro ... ml?filters[user]=137059928&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0#/user/r2grom/media/prototypemold_zpsf5e7f681.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=137059928&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0&_suid=137653862237507516345907098826
r2grom

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:13 am

If your master is firm enough, I'd recommend claying up the first half of the mold and then pouring the first half of the mold. Once first half has cured, flip it, remove the clay, cut some small locators in the flange area, mold release it (Vaseline works great) to prevent the two pours of silicone from bonding to one another, then pour the send half.

You could then simply squish the lure when you pour it (pour it into the open half of the mold and squish the second half of the mold into it while lining it up with your locators).

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:49 am

hi R2

I made a "helmut" head for mr whiggley that involved an almost identical problem/solution.
I made one master the size of the interior and another just slightly larger. Both with short pins sticking out dead center in the front. Made the mold in a cup, placing the large "outside diameter" master in it nose down.
This created a copy of the head.
I could then fill the mold about 1/4 full, then place the interior part dead center and let it set. Just have to leave enough room around it to get the wall thickness you desire.
The mold worked great, and was easy to remove the part without wrecking it.

A tip when making thin walled objects: It's a good idea to heat up your molds just a little in the microwave to speed curing.
good luck,
L
PS I am moving topic to lure making.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making