High strength 2 base question

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

High strength 2 base question

Postby Shaane » Mon May 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Using high strength 2 for the first time, I have mixed the base for 20 min straight folding it instead of whipping and it is still really stiff. Is the base for the quick set, high strength 3 and high strength 2 all the same in density. This is thicker than what I am used to is it supposed to be thicker? Will it loosen up with the catalyst? Also do molds made from quickset have a shorter life span than say high strength 2 and 3. I really like the rigidity of the quickset but not at the cost of say 40 pours of alumasol as the tech page on the website states. Thanks.
Shaane

Re: High strength 2 base question

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Good questions ...

The amount of pours we are referring to on the website have to do with resin not Alumisol. Resin is much more aggressive and tries to bond itself to the rubber every pour. It actually begins to deplete the lubricity of the rubber and evertually will make it feel dry and the rubber will eventually crack, tear, or chunk out.

Alumisol does NOT have that effect on the silicone. It does not try to adhere or dry out the silicone. I have never had a QuickSet or High Strength mold break down because of the Alumisol even after hundreds of pours.

The High Strength 2 will thin down once you add the catalyst but you will still want to carefully mix it, scrape the sides, and pour slowly in the corner of your mold box. The longer you wait, the thicker it will become as it starts to cure/gel. I'd recommend pouring the mixed rubber at approximately the 8-10 minute point. This allows you to mix it for a few minutes thoroughly and allows some of the bigger air to come up and escape before pouring it in your mold box. Using your breath, you can blow on the top of the mixed silicone to pop some of the bubbles before pouring.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: High strength 2 base question

Postby Shaane » Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for the lightning fast reply.
Shaane

Return to Lure Making