The Verndale Public School "Applied Economics"

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

The Verndale Public School "Applied Economics"

Postby lucky stick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 am

Greetings all!

My name is Matthew Parker and I am the instructor of the “Applied Economics” class at the Verndale Public school. In this project-based learning class we are using Alumilite products to make things. The mission statement of the class is to challenge creativity, challenge problem solving skills, challenge critical thinking, challenge typical school day norms, and integrate knowledge from other classes to make unique things.

This past fall semester we marketed, manufactured, and distributed fish head Christmas ornaments and magnets. This was the first semester of offering this class, but it has been wildly successful. The class was featured on the regional 5:00 news (WCCO) http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/search/?q ... +ornaments , featured in the main newspaper for MN, eastern Dakota’s, and western WI (Star Tribune) http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdo ... ml?refer=y , and the local newspapers and radio stations.

This fall the student’s got experience on what it takes to run a small business. We discussed and implemented marketing strategies, completed cost analyses, learned more effective tracking strategies using Excel, learned how to become more proficient with manufacturing, functional time management, experience working as a team, and the list goes on! Next fall we are planning on using the same idea to generate funds to buy a reward fishing trip, and, hopefully become a self-sustaining class. We will build up our experiences to become even more successful. One thing that is going to be added to the curriculum next fall is web design.

This semester we have directed our focus on making fishing lures. As you fellow lure builders know, the thought process that goes into making a lure can be intense. It is rewarding to watch these students come to school excited to be here, and challenge themselves! Right now we are making Mr. Whiggley’s, top water prop baits, topwater walk the dog baits, bull-dog hybrids, spearing decoys, and popper style bait. My goal is to encourage our student’s to take what they are learning in their math, industrial tech, and sciences classes and apply it to becoming better lure builders, and making school more relevant for them.

I would like to thank Mike and Larry for their support in launching this unique learning opportunity. They have been incredibly generous with their time and knowledge!

If you haven't, check out our video on the makelure youtube channel.

If you have questions or are interested in collaborating with us, please email me at mparker@verndale.k12.mn.us
lucky stick

Re: The Verndale Public School "Applied Economics"

Postby dahlberg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks for the post and update Matt! It's been very rewarding watching the project germinate and grow. Keep up the great work!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: The Verndale Public School "Applied Economics"

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Lucky,

I tried to email you, but I was rejected because your filter thought I had spam related items.

You will probably do just fine by asking the questions to the broad knowledge base of lure builders on this site. Larry and Mike will keep us in line.

Good luck!
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making