Heating up RTV molds

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Heating up RTV molds

Postby ram3139 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 am

I'm just starting out in pouring soft plastics. I made a mold of a 3" minnow style bait that has a thin tail section. I was having trouble getting the plastisol to flow all the way into the tail, even with small vent holes cut into it. I figured the plastisol was probably cooling down before it flowed all the way in, so I heated up the mold in the microwave before pouring it. That worked a lot better and the bait came out well. My question is, will repeated heating of the mold in the microwave cause any damage to it? Is there a better way to heat it up, or a better way to get thin sections to pour well? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
ram3139

Re: Heating up RTV molds

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:49 am

no prob heating the mold. we do it all the time to speed up curing of both flex and clear hard plastic as well.
If your mold starts to dry out a little you can refresh it with a little silicone oil.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Shaane » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Still learning myself want to try this. How long are you heating the mold in the microwave. 20 30 seconds or longer thanks
Shaane

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:00 pm

depends on the power of the mike and the size of the mold. Usually just heat until med warm. Not too hot to handle.
Usually takes a minute or less.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm

A rule of thumb is 1 minute on high per lb of silicone rubber gets you to a nice warm temp. Obviously, mics vary as Larry stated so test is best.
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making