Foam Filling Crankbaits

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Foam Filling Crankbaits

Postby Niloticus1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:44 am

Hi there,

I'm a new user from UK. I do a lot of fishing in Africa and I'm having problems with hardbaits being punctured by Barracuda and other toothy critters.

I know I can buy durable baits (Bomber CD30s and Storm DTH15s are puncture proof) but I have a bunch of Manns Stretch 30+ and Sebile Koolie Minnows that I'd like to foam inject to prevent them from filling with water when punctured.

I was steered towards one of Larry's videos where he does something similar to fix a punctured lure. Can anybody direct me to the correct DVD please?

I was also told that Amilite Super Foam 320 is best for the job, but would a denser foam be more durable?

Final question..... What is the best way of actually getting the foam mix into the lure body, syringe or pour? Apologies if this is a dumb question but I've never worked with this stuff before and can't visualise the best process.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Dave
Niloticus1

Re: Foam Filling Crankbaits

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:14 am

You can use either 320 or 610. 610 is a bit tougher. It's a very, very easy process.
I drill a 1/8" hole and inject the stuff with a plastic syringe. After it sets the foam comes out of syringe pretty easily so it can be re-used.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Niloticus1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks Larry,

Exactly the info I was looking for! Final question; do you make an extra vent hole for excess foam to exit?

Would also be interested in buying some of your DVDs but can't access the site at the moment, is it down for maintenance?

Cheers

Dave
Niloticus1

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:09 am

I just drill one hole and let it rip. you can catch the excess in a paper towel or rag.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Lure Making