Mr. Wigglie Soft Plastic Supply Question

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Mr. Wigglie Soft Plastic Supply Question

Postby TROP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:08 pm

Just got my solt plastic kit to make a Mr Wiggle. Didin't see any eyes with this kit. What size eye are used on the 12'' wiggle. I need to order some eyes. I also see that they sell eyes with just a flat surface on the back. Anyway I need to order eyes what size is recomended.
Also what size brass wire should I order for the nose piece. I will also need the tubing, which I can't order because I don't know the size of the pins on the back of the eyes. Shoot me responce if you have the answers to these questions. I don't want to start unless I have everything I need. I also wanting to try to mold a real fish . Is this possible, or has anyone ever tried this method. Just asking
Thanks
Joe
TROP

Re: Mr. Wigglie Soft Plastic Supply Question

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I'd recommend the 15 mm eyes ... the largest ones ... they have a .23" diameter stem in the back. So anything close to 1/4" diameter tubing should work fine.

I'd also recommend the .0570 brass wire for a 12" Whig.

Yes, you can mold a live fish or creature. High Strength 2 is the recommended rubber. Make sure to get the fish in the exact position you want him in as the mold will pick up and remember the exact shape you mold it in. Fins are sometimes difficult but can be pinned in an extended position and then molded. Often times a one piece mold is made and then split to remove the fish. Then you can pour a hard resin replica of the fish and make any modifications you deem necessary to the replica and then remold into a production mold ... with a lip, through wire, joints, extra detail, etc. Often times the production mold is then made into a two piece mold with the parting line exactly where you want it.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making