Popper and Surface plug

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Popper and Surface plug

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 am

I made my mold for my popper... Plan on weighting towards the tail. It should really make a good ruckus out there in the water. I plan on using the 2:1 foam. Will that foam be buoyant enough to float in the water like a popper?

My next question is for the alumalite white. Generally if you poured a plug body and just dropped it in fresh water... would it float or would it sink if it's JUST THE RESIN? I'm wondering how I should weight my plug to make it a surface/subsurface plug to drive the bluefish crazy. I want a fast erratic darting action on retrieval.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Popper and Surface plug

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:17 am

do I weight a popper at the "center" point on the popper? I want it to work like any traditional popper. Just make a splash and to really cause a commotion on a fast retrieve.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 am

Hi R
White will sink. If you want it to float you add micro balloons. Max load with micro balloons will give you floatation similar to hard maple.
Alumafoam 2:1 is similar to white cedar and obviously needs nothing added.
A good method is to use a layer of straight white in the belly or the rear, then use foam for the rest.
In regards to your other questions, they cannot be answered because there are too many variables, with the main one being the shape you choose. Pencil poppers, chuggers, dumbbells, depending on what you are trying to achieve and what hooks you use and where you put them, may all require different balance or weight.
I can tell you this, it's the easiest of all lure designs to get right!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:47 pm

I'll pretty it up and post a picture of it. Here goes nothing :P
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making