hard plastic lure ?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

hard plastic lure ?

Postby crash6882 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:30 pm

these might be stupid questions but i am new to this and am looking at getting into making my own Hard Lures. I am going to be using an existing lure that works good as a start and then tweak it from there. My first question is, the lure i am copying has rattlers in it. how would i do this, do i have to make it in two halfs with the flat part containing channels for the rattlers and then glue the two pieces together. next question is, I am going to be using the clear resin, does it also have the negative buoyancy as the white does??
crash6882

Re: hard plastic lure ?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

I am not Larry, but....

Personally, I suggest you get the starter kit and learn your craft with Alumililite White. It is easier and you don't need to cure with pressure, heat, or degass the mix.

The clears need to be cured with pressure like Larry shows in the How to videos, or the mix needs to be degassed. Otherwise it will have a lot of bubbles in it. If that is not a problem, then disregard my comments. I have played with some pressure casting and the device Larry used can be obtained from Alumilite, of modified from one obtained at Habor Freight, but, learn your craft first.

I susgest that the home production is not set up for molding in halves and gluing together. We had a thread not too long ago about adding rattles. The following link should get you there. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17541

Take some time to use the search feature on the site. There is a TON of great information we have talked about in the past. Still, it is often a good idea to revisit them like we did this time. After time, we all get smarter or new ideas come along.

Welcome and have fun.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Seachaser » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Use the white instead of clear. It is a lot easier, sets quicker, and the finish is super smooth. I learned this the hard way.
Seachaser

Postby crash6882 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

If i use the white at first what do you clear coat the lure with so it's shinny?
crash6882

Postby Seachaser » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:20 pm

To clear coat, you can use devcon 2 or envirotex. You want to use 30 minute epoxy. It is self leveling and gives you enough working time. Mix well and I use plastic gloves to put it on. By the way, if you are going to paint, use white and not colors. Sand it and paint it. Then add eyes and clear coat.
Seachaser

Return to Lure Making