[Questions] Lure making with crystal clear casting resin

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

[Questions] Lure making with crystal clear casting resin

Postby Tekk » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Hello,

First of all i would like to apologize about my english (native language is french).
I have several questions about this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1628lTV ... r_embedded

That's really amazing !

1 - What resin exactly is used? Alumilite Clear, Alumilite Water Clear or Amazing Clear Cast ?
2 - I actually use a casting resin that is really sticky and we usually have problem as the lure is not clean when it is taken off the mold.
Will we have this kind of problem? When i read the fact it is recommended to use baby powder, is that possible to mold it without and still have a clean lure?
3 - I read that you need to warm the mold before using the resin, is there a way to do that with room temperature?
4 - Is there a way to contact you an other way then the forum?
5 - My last and not least question, i only see shipping in the US, i live in french polynesia, is that possible to get shipping to there?

I am really interrested to order you frenquently and a good quantity as we are running a business based on lure making.

Best regard,
Tekk

Re: [Questions] Lure making with crystal clear casting resin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm

#1 Alumilite Clear or Alumilite Water Clear (new version coming out and probably the one I would recommend).
#2 Sounds like you are using a Polyester resin (probably stinks very bad - styrene) ... and no, you should not have any tacky surfaces using the Alumilite resins.
#3 Yes, you can pour and the resin will cure at room temperature. Small lures just take a long time to harden if you do not help them with heat. The bigger the part, the faster our resins cure.
#4 Yes, we ship all over however the website shipping module is not set up to ship internationally. Please contact us at world(at)alumilite(dot)com

Pressure casting ensures high quality, bubble free parts and is something you may want to consider if you are planning on making perfectly clear parts. Under the printable instructions on www.alumilite.com, you will find a tutorial that walks you through the basic understanding of pressure casting http://alumilite.com/HowTos/PressureCastingClear.cfm

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Tekk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks a lot Mike !

It looks like we've found exactly what we were looking for !
I've got some other questions and will contact you soon.

Can we know aproximately when the new formula will be available?

I am looking forward to get my hand on your amazing product !

Cheers,
Tekk

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

The New Water Clear is actually just coming out. We will more than likely pull the "Out of Stock" verbage off the website tomorrow morning. The new version has a 15 minute open time which really helps with bubble elimination for those not degassing or pressure casting and a demold time of approximately 2 hours. Preheating your mold will greatly reduce the demold time and is critical when pouring thin parts ... less than 1/4". The one thing you have to be careful of is pouring large pieces (couple inches thick) ... as the material will shrink and can pull away from the mold surface leaving some surface imperfections.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making