mr whiggley - alumilite

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

mr whiggley - alumilite

Postby maddbomber » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:19 pm

SOOOOOO tried my first attempt at THE MR WHIGGLEY...... first off bought the soft plastic kit from alumilite... made Whiggley from a block of Sculpey...the whole 9 yards..... AND......not enough silicone for the mold in the kit......SOOO if u plan on making a true 9 1/2 inch Whiggley order more materials for the mold as i will this week......also whats the deal,used the magic amounts of hardener with the silicone #2?? 12 hours later the mold is STILL STICKY..... will post pics and final results after i get it completed. WISH ME LUCK....so far NOT SO GOOD.
maddbomber

Re: mr whiggley - alumilite

Postby Seachaser » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 pm

I found out the hard way. First you should have no more than 1/4 inch on each side of the lure. It takes a bunch to make a lure if you have too big a box.
Second, if you do not mix the exact ratio, it will take up to three days to cure. You have to stir at least 60 seconds, but more is better and get all the mix off the sides and bottom. Mine cures in about 8 hours.
Seachaser

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

The High Strength 2 mold making rubber typically cures in 18 hours but can often times be demolded overnight. Temperature and humidity will affect the cure speed. The open time is in the ball park of 45 minutes, so make sure to mix it thoroughly and when you think you have it mixed well, scrape the sides and the bottom and mix it thoroughly again. You'd rather over mix than have some white swirls that never cure. And you don't need to be in a hurry when mixing due to the long open time.

You and others have brought up the amount that comes in a kit and I will make sure to add in the description somewhere that the Soft Bait and Hard Bait kits come with enough rubber to make a 6-7" jerkbait or a whatever. Guys that make bass baits often get 2-3 molds out of the 1 lb of rubber but guys doing big Whiggley's complain they didn't get enough rubber to make their bait. We simply need to do a better job explaining the quantity that comes in the kit.

Thanks for the comments. Look forward to seeing the pics.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Hey, maddbomber, one additional thing. Did you stir the HS2 container before you mixed the catalyst in? HS2 will seperate and settle some, so you need to scrape the bottom and mix even before you start. I believe the instruction mention this on the container, but I missed this the firs time.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby maddbomber » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 am

SOOOOO got the other batch of silicon #2 to finish my Whiggley mold, AAAAAAAAAND it turned out REEEEEAL NICE. have only cast the tail, DON'T use the wifes microwave when u heat up the soft plastic, IT WILL stink up the kitchen.... SOOOO going to get a microwave and Pyrex measuring cups tonight, first REAL try at Larrys Mr. Whiggley tonight. will post pics real soon.
maddbomber

Return to Lure Making