Alumilite hard bait kit

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Alumilite hard bait kit

Postby bronzepike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:49 pm

I think i will be buying a hard bait kit from alumilite and entering this years lure contest. Before i order, will all of the plastics be the same or will some sink and some float? and what are the purpose of the micro balloons, to add more buoyancy? I suppose I could add some lead into the mold if the plastics only float.
Thanks,
Chris
bronzepike

Re: Alumilite hard bait kit

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 pm

The Alumilite White resin that comes in the hard bait kit has a specific gravity of approx 1.1 which means it is heavier than water and will sink. Yes, you can add weight/lead into the casting to make the lure sink faster and microballoons will do the opposite ... add bouyancy to either make it slow sink, suspend, or stay on top as a topwater bait. A rule of thumb, is that at approx 35% microballoons by volume will make a nuetrally bouyant lure. 50-100% will make a floating topwater lure. These approximations do not take into consideration any terminal tackle weight such as hooks, screw eyes, wire through design, or rattles but should give you somewhere to start.

Mike
Alumilite
Mike - Alumilite

Postby bronzepike » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 pm

awesome, thanks
bronzepike

Postby Watchhiller » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Good points Watchhiller. A couple more worth noting Watchhiller made me think of ... 1 lb of silicone (the amount that comes in the kit) is approximately 21 cubic inches to give you an idea of how big of a mold/s you can make depending on how big your lures are. Secondly if your mold is long and narrow, don't hesitate to use wood or plastic on the side walls to make a "splint" to then clamp or tape the mold together to support it if your walls are thin. This is highly recommended when using any of the foams so they won't distort your lure.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making