3D Printers for creating molds

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

3D Printers for creating molds

Postby rockjiggr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Has anyone experimented with using a 3D Printer to create molds for soft (or hard) plastic lures? I searched the boards and could not find anything. If you have not seen these things, do a quick youtube search and see what its all about. The technology is fairly new but pretty simple and somewhat affordable ($250-$5000 depending on what type of machine you purchase or put together). I have also seen 3D Scanners that can scan a solid object and create a 3D computer model in CAD that can then be downloaded into the 3D printer to duplicate that object. I was thinking that 2 piece injection molds could be made fairly easily and with great detail from this technology. Anyone with experience in this area?
rockjiggr

Re: 3D Printers for creating molds

Postby dahlberg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:50 am

We've used them to create the part from which the mold is made.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Watchhiller » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:53 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby rockjiggr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

Watch and L, thanks for the replies. Had not really looked into the cost of the materials, just brainstorming the concept at this point. I agree that once the demand and availability of the printers and systems reaches a more saturated point that cost should come down to make it a reasonable option. I would love to try it but obviously I am not willing to spend that much for start up. I guess I will stick to the analog methods for now.

rockjiggr
rockjiggr

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I have used the rapid prototyping devices for my work before, then used that with CNC to make new parts. If the cost was low enough, I can sure see it working here.

I see it more like what Larry said, make a blank with it first then make your molds. I don't know of any 3D printers that use silicone for the printed object and it is the non stick feature of the silicone that makes them so beneficial for us. The same could be done with A CADD program like AutoCad, transfered to a CNC, but again, cost is an issue. But, like before, I know of no CNC tools that could actually mill Silicone well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with Watchhiller that scaling an existing lure up or down, or working out symmerty, etc., would sure be easier if you could transfer it to CADD, then use a 3D printer or a CNC machine to make your blank.

How about it Mike, are you up to starting up a new business? :idea: :idea: :P
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 pm

Alumilite Engineering has been working with this technology, primarily in Solid Works and Rhino, for a long time ... at least the last decade. Pricing is coming down but is still expensive. Unfortunately the low cost printers that are starting to come out and become more available do not even come close to being as detailed as you would expect. Many machines have such severe layers/rigids, that no one that cares at all about cosmetics would ever be interested in it. If you need a prototype, semi-structural, non-cosmetic part, it may work great.

I've recently been helping a guy that has some extremely detailed gaming pieces that has been promised time and time again by people with printers that they can print the pieces. He has spent close to $2500 so far on multiple vendors and hasn't even come close to what he is looking for. The last pic he showed me was barely a blob in the basic shape. It was horrible and he was extremely disappointed. I told him that I thought his pieces were honestly too detailed even for the high end printers and was reluctant to recommend anyone to him for his pieces/applications.

When it comes to this technology, it still comes down to having to pay for high quality printing. You really need to get down to .001" per layer to get detailed printing done. Even then, finishing techniques are normally necessary to dial them in. Is it worth it, many times yes ... depending on the application and project. For us to make a lure to test ... normally not. After Larry prototyped many a Whopper Plopper, did he invest in having SLA's done to test the final design as a safety check before having production tooling made ... yes. Once those were tested and approved, it made it much easier for him to go right into production as the drawings were already done and the final design tested and approved.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm

You know, I wonder about the dental crown making machines. On my last two crowns they photo'ed them and the machine milled them.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making