Help? 610 and Alumifoam sticking to my HS2 mold

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Help? 610 and Alumifoam sticking to my HS2 mold

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Mike, Larry, or anyone else with an idea..... help.

Silicone is not suppose to stick to anything else, but not too long ago I made a new mold out of HS2. The same previous mold was made from HS1. After about a dozen or less pours, I had one of the Alumifoam bodies stick to the mold, but only a very small spot on the side. I removed the body, added a little HS2 to the damaged area, put the blank back in, and all was fixed and well.

After a few more pours, I had the 610 do the same thing, but on the other side of the body (not the repaired location). I repaired the new spot using the same method, not with quite the quality results, but good enough.

Now I shoot the mold with a little UMR first and everything works fine, but........

Can anyone suggest why the HS2 is starting to stick to the Alumifoam and 610 foam?
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Help? 610 and Alumifoam sticking to my HS2 mold

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 pm

AA,

Are you packing the foam (closing the door on the top as it rises and allowing it to build pressure)? The other thought is how long are you leaving it in the mold? I'm assuming you are like the rest of us and are fairly impatient to unwrap (demold) the new lure but leaving it in for extended periods of time (especially overnight) is not recommended. The resin in both of these cases seems to absorb/lock into the porosity of the rubber mold much better when allowed the time or the increase in pressure. UMR is definitely my recommendation which you are already all over.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: Help? 610 and Alumifoam sticking to my HS2 mold

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:13 pm

Guilty and guilty. As the foam starts to flow from the pour hole, I twas plugging it until it flowed from the vent holes. Then I released it.

Normally I try to remove it too fast, but I think the wife called me to dinner both times.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making