Make rigid the pectoral fins

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Make rigid the pectoral fins

Postby luccio » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 pm

I want to make a mold using a soft plastic shad lure as master.
The shad lure has two very soft pectoral fins .
How can I do to make rigid the pectoral fins,so to make a good mold?

luccio
luccio

Re: Make rigid the pectoral fins

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Perhaps you can paint the fins with a thin coat of 5 minute epoxy. There are epoxys designed for plastic, so ?????
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby luccio » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:59 am

Thank you,Aka !!!

I'll try it.

luccio
luccio

Postby JLURE » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Super glue with a disposable brush
JLURE

Postby luccio » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Thank you Jlure !!!

I was also thinking to cover the fins with a thin layer of wax / paraffin.
What do you think about it ?

luccio
luccio

Postby JLURE » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

I would just try and use a coating or a few coatings of super glue. I would also suggest you to use a tooth pick between the fin and body of the bait to position the way you want, this will also give some vetting to help fill the fins.
JLURE

Postby luccio » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:18 am

Ok,I will try it.

I just bought a jar of super glue with brush .
There is no epoxy glue for plastic (I tried but did not find anything).

luccio
luccio

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 pm

How is the super glue working for you? Let us know if you would.

I has recently been suggested that I don't know anything and that I am an arm chair sportsman, so perhaps my advice was in error. If so, have a little laugh at my expense. :lol: :lol:

I am so out of it that I even thought I saw it at my local Ace Hardware, under the names Loctite Quick Set (says on the bottom of the package "and most plastics"). :oops: :oops:

I even thought that the Loctite Instant Mix said that. Wierd. :evil: :lol: :lol:

Worse yet, I thought that I saw Devcon Plastic Welder (says on the package that it is good for Hard plastic, PVC, Styrene, Acrylic, Vinyl, and other things).

Just to make things worse, I even imagined that there was an ACE brand called ACE Plastic Repair Epoxy (ABS, Hard Plastic, PVC).

And just to seal the deal on my insanity, I discovered that almost all soft lures are made of a PVC or a Vinyl. I checked out The Home Depot just in case I was totally out of my mind and I thought that I found the Devcon and Loctite products there also. :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you want to really have fun at my expense, e-mail me at anglinarcher@umpire.com and I will send you the phony photos I took of the packages. :arrow: :shock: :shock:

One additional suggestion, if you want to put the final nail in my coffin, it might be possible to mix some Alumilite White, with some Microballons, and paint it on the fin. In about 5 minutes or so, it should start to set. At that time, you could still bend the fins to the shape and position you desire and set aside for the final cure. I hear said that AL White will adhear or stick to everything except mold release or silicone, so who knows - I think I read that some place while setting in my arm chair.

Sorry about the rant, guess I had a fart stuck cross wise.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby luccio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:34 am

Hello, Aka

I saw your video: you know a lot about the construction of bait and your suggestions are always useful and well accepted : ) : ) : )
I bought a jar of glue with brush called "super attack" produced by loctite. It is a cyanoacrylate glue.
As I wrote in response to JLure, I also try to put on the fins a little bit of paraffin/ wax paste,to make them rigid.
I'll let you know if these systems work.

luccio
luccio

Return to Lure Making