Great lure Build Off

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Great lure Build Off

Postby dhanifl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Larry any idea when the winner will be announced?

I’m waiting on pins and needles, and I’m even working on new Ideas for next year!

Thanks

D
dhanifl

Re: Great lure Build Off

Postby Watchhiller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:43 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby Watchhiller » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:01 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:24 am

Good try guys, but I suspect that this is part of the game. It is a test to see if we will crack first. :lol:

Seriously, quoting a 2nd rate movie. LOL :P
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 am

I suspect it should be soon. I know they are working on it daily. As soon as I hear, it will be posted.

Good luck everyone!
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby dhanifl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 am

Well I guess I was the first to crack :)

Thanks Mike,

D
dhanifl

Postby Watchhiller » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Watchhiller, you are funny. I am quite sure that you are as serious as you appear, but I don't think you understand. This lure build off is not going to make anyone rich. The exposure is nice and if you win I am quite sure, well almost sure, it won't go to your head.

I'm glad you don't hate me, I sure would hate to get on your bad side. :lol:

I wonder, do you think that your rant will help the judges choose an entry by you over others? :?:
aka anglinarcher

Postby Watchhiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Watchhiller,
I won't look petty by trying to give you a new nickname. I understand that you have clearly had issues in your life, from a lost friend and mentor to a super storm. I am not sure that this justifies wearing your emotions on your shirt sleeve, but that is not for me to judge. I would like to let your rant speak for itself, but I think that there are a few items that need to be spoken about, "for the record".

I concur that there was apparently a great deal of predatory voting. This was the first lure build-off; the rules have been a little loose. At first we were to find out who won the first of October, and then it was the middle of October. If we have another contest, I suspect that we will lose our ability to vote for lures. There are no apparent references to how much, if any, impact the voting will have on the final outcome. IMHO The only rules we did have boiled down to the following:

"Originality, functionality, feasibility ("do-ability"), performance, breadth of application and overall effectiveness, will outweigh cosmetic aspects with regards to judging..........The submissions must be made from Alumilite products where applicable........"

These rules seem open to interpretation, but I do not consider this as a fault, I consider this as growing pains. After All, you invoke Mr. Dahlberg, so I will quote him from the preface to the rules...."I'd get a grin from helping guys pay for their fishing habit, plus I think it’s good Karma and might increase my odds for a really, really big one on the next cast I make with of my own lures!" I truly hope that the emotions that have developed do not prevent a Great Lure Build Off in the future. Somehow I think that too many of us have not tried to get a grin of our own. Personally, this is the reason my wife named the "Mr. Delicious" and wanted the Mermaid entered. We hoped that the names and the lures would give a grin to those that saw and read them.

Now, as for the personal attacks, really? When I posted my videos, I left them open for comments. I am making lures for my own use right now; I make lures for friends and family when they ask for them. I am open to comments about my lures because I want to improve them. I also don't mind if people disrespect my lures. After all, if the critique is valid, then I can improve the lures. I noticed that you have disabled comments on your videos. Apparently we have different goals regarding our posting. I am a little surprised you considered my comments on the lures as anything other than an honest reflection of the limited rules we were given. How original was it? Is it functioning correctly? How feasible is it to make? Was the lure made from Alumilite products where applicable? Perhaps most important, what is the breadth of application? Note that there is no reference to "big fish".

Let me critique a lure of my own, based on the above. The "Mr. Delicious", the one that seems to give you so much hart burn, turns out to be less then original. I did not know at the time that Donato Custom Baits already made a Big Fish Spinner that had a fish head. I don't know if it is weight forward, and it does not have the ease of component exchange that mine does, but on a one to five scale, I would now give my lure only a 3 for originality. Functionality and Feasibility would rate high, 4 or 5. Performance and overall effectiveness would be subjective to someone that has not fished them, so I am not going to rate it. It is made of Alumilite Products, so it would get a 5. Finally, the breadth of application would be limited, so it would get a 2. The average would be a 3.8 by my math, done in a hurry just to make a point. This is how I rated all of the lures when I voted. It is also how I chose to comment, although on a less verbose level, on each lure video. It was with this in mind that I rated and commented on your lures as well.

You claim that "why do you think the first entry didn't even bother to load a video? Yes-disgust." So, why did Mr. Ryan Severson not post a video? Unlike you, I take him for his word. He said "I don't own a video camera so if you want to see it we have a poolside demo on April 10 at Craguns for our monthly meetings. I will try to have someone video tape it there". If he did not do it because of disgust, he did not indicate it where I have seen it. I seriously doubt that Mr. Severson was disgusted about video comments or voting when by the very fact he was the first to enter so there were no options for anyone to do those things yet. LOL

A great man, one many of us believe to be a God, once said, Love your enemies. While your bad side is obviously very uncomfortable, I suspect it is more uncomfortable for you then for me, or us. I feel for you man, almost to the point of ..... Were it possible, I would indeed fish with you. While your skills must indeed be impressive, I lack the means to visit you at this time (I can't "out fish commercial guys armed with st. croixs and shimanos with a length of green spot on a wooden spool, less than 24hrs. post-op with one hand tied around my neck in a sling"). I would enjoy being schooled by someone that could "send (me) off with (my) tail between your legs. In fact, I always like to learn from others. If you want to come to the Pacific Northwest, I will allow you to choose the species, day and time. I won't take the pink slip on your boat, nor will I give you mine, and I won't put girls or women down for their fishing ability. Personally, I have enjoyed fishing with my mother, wife, daughters and daughter-in-law and their skills are not in question.

Watchhiller, this personal use of Larry's web forum for our disagreement must end. I offer you an e-mail that you can personally contact me at if you wish to. And please, keep other parties out of our disagreement. References to others as "mr. bigdaddy-lady finger" serve no purpose. They don't know that they are being attacked by you and I suspect neither of us knows who they are. If you want to disrespect or discredit me, then keep it limited to me. anglinarcher@umpire.com

A final note, I hope you did well on your broken sea clam sipping slob, with circle hook. Personally, fishing for me yesterday was less then exciting. I caught a lot, but I could not get past the little pest to get the big fish I was looking for.
aka anglinarcher

Postby Watchhiller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:25 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:05 pm

Love ya man. If hating me helps ya, I can take it.
aka anglinarcher

Postby Watchhiller » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Watchhiller wrote:
> i feel better already.....
Excellent!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making