How to make plastic more buoyant.

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

How to make plastic more buoyant.

Postby Jared » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:14 pm

I just got my starter kit in 2 days ago, and i have made a few baits. One being a soft plastic topwater, but i am having a problem with it slow sinking instead of floating. What can i do to make the plastic more buoyant ?
Jared

Re: How to make plastic more buoyant.

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 am

Alumisol will float on it's own, but the addition of a hook is usually enough to make it sink. To achieve more buoyancy, add microballoons to your alumisol.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:41 pm

dahlberg wrote:
> Alumisol will float on it's own, but the addition of a hook is usually
> enough to make it sink. To achieve more buoyancy, add microballoons to
> your alumisol.
> best
> L

FYI, I have added up to 100% microballons to Alumisol. (one gram of microballons per gram of Alumisol). It turns the Alumisol white and opaque, and it stiffens the plastic some, but the Alumisol works very well. The mix does not heat as fast as the straight (insulation) and it does not pour as easy (I injected it), so it may take a little practice to get it right. One thing is for sure, the final result was real buoyant. :lol:

PS, Mike suggested this to me when I was looking for something stiffer then Alumisol but softer then Flex 30. It was not my idea to go this high with microballons so I can't take credit for it.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby daddy.bob » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Jared I have done a bit of experimenting with Micro Ballons and Alumisol in order to develop Daddy Bobs Croaker. Trial and error, combined with field testing, is the best advice I can offer. You must consider, the weight of the hook and the size of lure. If the lure is large compared with the hook it is supporting you may need less Micro Ballons. The plastic will become less flexable as more ballons are mixed in, this may be an advantage or not depending on several factors related to how you want the lure to perform in the water. I like my plastic stiff but not so stiff that it ruins the leg action. I hope this helps,good luck.
daddy.bob

Return to Lure Making