top water jitter bug style bait spins?????

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

top water jitter bug style bait spins?????

Postby JLURE » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:35 pm

Hey guys

I'm trying to make a top water-jitter bug style bait that floats. The problem is the bait spins in a circle as I reel it in instead of a left to right motion. The bib/lip makes the lure spin in a propeller action instead of the jitter action. As of right now I have the line eye directly centered in the center of the bait. Does the eye location matter and if so where? I have no clue what I am doing wrong here. Any help or thoughts?
JLURE

Re: top water jitter bug style bait spins?????

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 am

Can you post a video of the lure on something like YouTube, then give us a link so we can see it? Also, if you could post some close-ups of the lure on something like photobucket and give us a link it would be usefull.

Several things come to mind. First, Eye location does matter. There is no easy answer to where it should be, there are just too many variables without seeig the lure. Second, the line tie does need to be centered left and right, but up-down location should not be centered. Sooooo may possibilities.

If you have coppied an existing lure, then have you considered tuning the lure line tie? Sometimes a little bending of the line tie is all that matters.

If this is a lure of your own design, my guesses are that the lure needs to float higher, and the lure bib needs to tilt back a little more on the bottom to allow the water to "spill out" a little better. But, without knowing more about the actual lure, these are guesses at best.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Watchhiller » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:31 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watchhiller

Postby JLURE » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks watchhiller, I should be wining that darn contest but everyone votes honestly on the voting. Everyone gives them selfs 5 stars and everyone else a 1. I actually voted the honest way and complimented people on their lures on the YouTube post. I won't post a actual link or image of my new lure I'm working on since it's original idea but I'm trying to get. Left to right motion/swim action, any other ideas? I'm also having a problem telling if it is a weight or angle issue. It is almost a hybrid of the jitter and crawler. Thanks for the input.
JLURE

Postby Watchhiller » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Watchhiller

Postby JLURE » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:21 pm

Yea I make my own lip/bib, I only know of one jitterbug lip style that you can but and its all metal, not my style....
JLURE

Postby Watchhiller » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:44 pm

JLURE wrote:
> Thanks watchhiller, I should be wining that darn contest but everyone
> votes honestly on the voting. Everyone gives them selfs 5 stars and
> everyone else a 1. I actually voted the honest way and complimented people
> on their lures on the YouTube post. I won't post a actual link or image of
> my new lure I'm working on since it's original idea but I'm trying to get.
> Left to right motion/swim action, any other ideas? I'm also having a
> problem telling if it is a weight or angle issue. It is almost a hybrid of
> the jitter and crawler. Thanks for the input.

LOL - I guess the contest has you on ege right now. " I should be wining that darn contest but everyone votes honestly on the voting". I am guessing you mean everyone votes dishonestly? :shock:

I understand why you are not posting a link, but please don't accuse :twisted: the rest of the competation of being dishonest. Personally, I looked up what I voted for your lizard, and it was much higher then a 1 for sure. I will be honest, there are a few lures with averages over three that seem neither original or effective to me, and yet they have the votes. Like Watch said, "the fish-gods" will sort it out. :mrgreen:

Perhaps after the first of September WE might be able to get sufficient information to help.

PS, Watchhiller has a pretty good idea that is simpler then my idea of changing the bib angle or adjusting the line tie. I hope it works for you. Just keep in mind that too much weight near the back will suppress the action caused by the bib.
aka anglinarcher

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 pm

aka anglinarcher wrote:

Don't know how I got a double, so I will edit this one to nothing. Sorry all.
Last edited by aka anglinarcher on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka anglinarcher

Postby JLURE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Yea I was playing when I said I should be winning the contest, and no I wasn't talking about everyone when it came to voting. Just every time a new lure comes in to play, that new lure is a 5 and all the others drop in points dramatically. There needs to be a better way for the voting and proof that Alumilite products were used, like a code from a receipt after a purchase has been made.

Anyways, about my top water jitterbug lure issue. I believe that it was all in the angle of the lip/bib. I went and bought a protractor and made several other lures with different and more accurate angles. I will keep you all posted once I test them. After research it seems like 45* is the magic number and my original was more like 70*. Oops!

Also, anglinarcher you said on my video there was a similar lure back in the 70’s, can I ask what the name of this lure was? This would have been way before my time and 15 years after 1985. Also you are also mistaken about lizards falling into the water on accident or coming into contact with bodies of water. If this was true there would be no explanation about me finding dead and alive lizards in the pool about 3-5 days a week. Also there are an abundant amount of lizards that live on the edge of the water due to all of the abundant flying insects. Now these two factors may or may not spikes one's intrest on seeing first hand what happens to a lizard while swiming on top of the water.....

Thanks
Jason
JLURE

Postby Watchhiller » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby JLURE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 pm

HAHAHA. Yea a protractor, who would have ever thought that it could come in handy, is there a better way? Well I tried the whole eye ball approach and you see where that got me. How does everyone else make sure they have the correct angles?
JLURE

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Ya, I agree about the voting. I suspect that our votes will have little to do with the final choice by the judges. I also suspect that Mr. Ogawa will have more to do with what is chosen, after his patent searches are done, then we will . LOL

No, I don't remember the company. I don't think it was a big company, but there were a lot of inovative and "strange" lures comming out in the 60's and 70's. I was looking in my fishing box at lures my dad gave me, and lures I bought, and some seem down right strange by today's standards. Lures like the Hawian Wiggler, the Shannon Twin Spin, the Hedon Tadpole, ..... I just remember the lizard and the dragonfly and the mouse in the jitterbug style back in the 70's. I had the dragonfly one. When I saw that River2Sea had some of the dragonfly with a clear lip, all I could say is WOW, old is new again. When this rodio is over, I sure would like to get a couple of your lizards from you.

I suspect that the proof of the Alumilite products will come when the judges request 4 lures from the leading design. The rules say "Only if requested by any of the judges, will samples be required for evaluation. If samples are requested, the inventor will send 4 sample lures that will need to be submitted within 3 weeks of being requested. Samples will only be required if requested by the judges for further evaluation if pictures and video were not sufficient. "

Hmmmm, so you do see lizards in the pool? I stand corrected on that one.
aka anglinarcher

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:35 pm

JLURE wrote:
> HAHAHA. Yea a protractor, who would have ever thought that it could come in
> handy, is there a better way? Well I tried the whole eye ball approach and
> you see where that got me. How does everyone else make sure they have the
> correct angles?

Just like you are now. LOL

I wish I had a better way for sure.
aka anglinarcher

Postby JLURE » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:30 am

Hey anglinarcher
Do you own old and antique fishing lure books, and if so which ones? The reason i'm asking is there are so darn many I don't know which ones are good or not. I did a search on amazon and there were thousands and they all cant be the same, right?
JLURE

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 pm

LOL - funny story that goes with that question. In Spokane Washington, we have what is called "The Bighorn Show" each spring. It is a big venue at the fair grounds where fishing and hunting booths are set up, our trophy animals are submitted for scoring, etc. Last year I was walking by one of the guide booths and he had his antique lures mounted behind glass for display.

I started showing the lures to my friend and telling him about how they swam and what the names were and about how old the lures were. The guide looked at me and said, STOP, let me get some paper. He then started to write down the names and the years I was giving so he could do research on them. His comment was that he was supprised that I knew so much about some of the lures he did not even have names for. My friend looked at him and told him that I was OLD, and that when I was born, my fishing rod poked the Doctor in the face.

OK, so maybe I have been an addict all my life, but the truth is that I just happen to love, and fish with, a lot of old lures. But I don't respect them enough to actually want to know their value or .....

So, no, I don't have any antique fishing lure books. But, according to my wife and friends, I AM an ANTIQUE. :twisted: :oops: :lol:

I am sure all of the books are not the same, and I am more sure that no one book will have all antiques lures. Even more, I am sure that there are a lot of small lure crafters from the past that have made lures that either did not get patents/copy rights/protection, or the legal protection is long since past.

For example, even if I had the jitterbug style lizard I have seen, it would be so old that it would not be protected under any patents. Just like the Abrogast Jitter Bug is no longer protected, as evidenced by so many copies, and yet it is still a great fish catcher.

BUT, if you do find a good antique lure book, please let me, us, know which one to get.
aka anglinarcher

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey, one more thing. About getting your angles correct, I may have an idea that can help.

This won't help for a new lure, but when you get the first one correct, it can help on the next ones.

I fish a rocky clif and the lures need to almost bounce of the rock to get the fish attention. As a result, I have a lot of Rapala lures that have broken lips. Now Rapalas are not super expensive, but a couple of broken lures a trip add up. What I did was to take a new lure and mold the lure with HS-2. When I have broken lip, I either place a new lip in the mold and then glue it to the lure (closing up the mold) or I heat the mold to 150 degrees and mix some alumilite clear for the lip, then place the body into the mold and close it up.

By doing this, the new lip fits perfect, correcct angle, correct size, correct shape.

Can you addapt something like this for hour lure?
aka anglinarcher

Postby JLURE » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:41 am

HAHA, Thanks
JLURE

Return to Lure Making