Stretch 25+???

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Stretch 25+???

Postby ymmij » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:54 am

Hey guys new to the forum got a lot of great stuff here. So got a couple questions, I want to copy a few of my favorite stretch trolling lures. I hope some point me in the right direction. First is do I use a wire like the one in Larry's video and second how the lip is attached. Thanks for any help.
ymmij

Re: Stretch 25+???

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:00 am

The type of lure you are describing is the most difficult to get right, and also the most difficult to make in a super sturdy fashion.
The deeper a lipped lure runs, the more critical the tuning. The bigger the lip, the more fragile.
That being said, it certainly can be done in a variety of different ways.
For larger lures, it's often best to use metal rather than plastic for the lips if you like to really whack bottom with this style of lure.
I usually place my lip in the mold and cast the lip right into the lure. Drill a few small holes thru the part of the lip that's imbedded in the lure to allow the plastic to flow thru it.
good luck! best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ymmij » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks for your response. I was thinking what about using clear plastic resin making it all one, Making the lip and the body all one how do you think that might work and how well could u paint the resin. Thanks for any suggestion
ymmij

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm

Painting the resin is no problem. However the big lip holding up to bottom banging is another question!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ymmij » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for your response. I am working on couple and ill let u know how things work out
ymmij

Return to Lure Making