question on painting soft plastics

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

question on painting soft plastics

Postby joehaase » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:31 am

All... I have been doing fairly well making and painting my own hard plastic lures, but now want to dabble in soft plastics. I have a mold made for a baitfish that's about 7" long, but am puzzled at how to replicate a marking pattern on it, such as spots and stripes.

I know from my years of casting, with plastic we could just paint the pattern into the mold, and it will adhear when you pour the resin in. Just wondering if anyone has tried this with soft plastics.

Thanks in advance,
Joe
joehaase

Re: question on painting soft plastics

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 am

Yup, I have. Use dry erase markers for your detail decorations and follow with Alumidust!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby joehaase » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks Larry. I haven't come across much info on using alumidust (like youtube), how hard is it to use? Never thought about dry erase markers, always thought they would wash off.
joehaase

Postby GMan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:15 am

Tell me more about the markers! What kind and where do you get them? Not sure what a "dry erase" marker is...so you marker the mold so that the dust sticks to it in those spots, or does the marker itself provide the coloring?
GMan

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 am

As far as Alumidust goes, I developed it as an alternative to paint. IMO it's much easier, safer etc.,really no comparison.
Dry erase markers are the ones used on dry erase boards. For example, if you want extremely vivid tiny black dots like on a rainbow trout you can make dots with a pointed tip dry erase marker in your mold and it will transfer to the soft plastic very well. Regular markers tend to bleed into the mold and also can smudge and migrate in soft plastic. Another way of course is to dot the lures after you demold them prior to dipping in clear coat.
With Alumidust and soft plastic a final dip in clear is recommended.
The Dust can also be used to create amazing colors when molding hard plastic also, plus can be mixed with soft plastic to create more realistic colors.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby GMan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Many thanks!
GMan

Postby joehaase » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks Larry... can't wait to try and get some large soft plastics going for this fall for striper season.. 9" live baits here we come!!

How does the metallic powders work in a mold with soft plastic?? It looks good on hard plastics, just want to see how it would mimic a silver side or such.
joehaase

Return to Lure Making