How to line up the neg and pos of a lure for a cast

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

How to line up the neg and pos of a lure for a cast

Postby wcc248 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Well I had a good post going but since it timed out and lost it all you get the short short version. Yes I already searched.

I'm making a hollow lure so how would you line up the pos and neg molds for casting?

Will the sidewall thickness be an issue?

How would you incorporate the eyelets into the casting process? Are you wire tying all the eyelets together on the inside?

TIA!
wcc248

Re: How to line up the neg and pos of a lure for a cast

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:30 am

Suggest yo go to makelure.com and check out some of the tutorials. All the info you need is there!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby wcc248 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:08 pm

I did watched quite a few of the videos and was not really seeing what I'm thinking and I'm probably over thinking it. But I think it finally clicked. My original process was to mold both outsides of the lure and then cut it and then mold the insides. Just because I didn't want to cut the lure until I liked what I saw for the outsides. But I can't see how to get things lined up doing it that way so I posted. But really the solution is to cut the lure first and treat each half just like the two part mold process with the marbles. Once I realized that it should be super easy to do now. But again I'm probably over thinking it so I came up with these two options...

Which process would you think is the better way to go?
Cut the lure in half and place the flat side down in the mold box and pour the alumilte in there and use dowels to leave holes (guides).
or
Put the round side down in the clay with marbles in the clay and pour it that way. This seems like more work and time.

Another question I have if you don't mind is how much cover to you use? I'm thinking about pouring to about .25in thick allowing flex and prevent it tearing apart. Do you think that's enough?

Thanks again..
wcc248

Postby ajelstein » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:41 am

I am no expert but have done quite a bit of molding and casting at this point. I would suggest you use option 2 with the clay, you will get better indecaters (guides) that way and I would pour at least 1/2" thick at the thinnest point, I know it seams like a waist but you will need the extra stiffness that the extra material imparts to prevent the rubber from sagging under its own weight which would be very problematic givent the rather thin side walls of a hollow bait.

Finally if you didn't watch the whapper plopper tutorial on slush casting you might want to take a look at that just in cast some derivation of that process could be used to accomplish what you intend. A two sided mold like you are planning is allot more work and can be a little challanging to perfect. Good luck.

Regards,

Andy
ajelstein

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:14 am

I'd suggest using this step by step for making the two halves that line up properly. http://makelure.com/HowTos/Swim%20Whiz%202%20Piece.pdf Clay is the best thing in my opinion.

Slush casting the thing all at once will give you the best results. I'd suggest using a few microballoons to increase your viscosity which will help give you a more consistant coating for your wall thickness.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making