Blue Fish Lures

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Blue Fish Lures

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:26 am

Hey Larry or any other lure makers:
This past week I was in Cape Cod and hit several bluefish runs. Those things are an absolute blast, but they are devestating on lures. I want to make something similar to a cast master (I.E. something that will cast a mile and hold up to the abuse, but less expensive). Is there some type of a high strength foam that I can weight and cast out and retrieve much like a cast master? This way, I can play around with colors and painting the lure to see what gets the most bites. Can anyone suggest any other materials to make this type of lure out of?

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Blue Fish Lures

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:05 am

Try casting our regular super plastic into aerodynamic shapes and use either lead inserts, lead shot, tungsten, nuts, bolts, if you need more weight. Play with "hole-thru" construction so the lure slides away from the hook. One of the first tutorials I did (pretty sure it's on the lure dvd) was on a spoon made with a lead insert and clear super plastic exterior. It had a hole thru construction as well. It would do just what you want. Also very easy to create great variety of very realistic colors.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for the advice, Larry. I was thinking about having something really reflective for the finish... maybe like a standard red head pattern or something in silver, green, and black.... I plan on tying the hooks with buck tail for a little extra flair... would flashbou be a good addition to the bucktail?
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 am

Wth the method I'm describing you can adhere mirage to the sides of the lead before clear casting and it's more reflective than any chrome you've ever seen. also use flashabou minnow tubing for totally realistic scale or reflective tape over lead insert ..
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 am

Nice! I'm excited to try it out!
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 am

Would one of the lure making kits from the Makelure.com website have everything I need to accomplish to make the bodies for the bluefish lures?
RhettWheeler

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 am

Actually the kit has more than you need but is short of one thing, the clear casting resin. If you had the rtv, mold release, and clear casting resin you'd have everything except the material to insert inside the clear.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Watchhiller » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

ok, so i'll probably buy the hard bait kit, then order some clear casting resin as well.

watchiller:
I do plan on having the lure slide on the steel leader. Was in cape cod a few weeks back and was pounding 5-8# bluefish with some kastmaster spoons, but theyre so darn rough on the lures, that I thought it would be fun to try and make my own! As far as table fare, i'm not a huge fan of bluefish. I did enjoy the black sea bass we were catching though. When the blues school up, it's like a pack of wolves! sheer madness!
RhettWheeler

Return to Lure Making