Flex 80 question

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Flex 80 question

Postby rocko » Sun May 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Is there anything I can add to Flex 80 to thin it out just a little bit and prolong the cure time? With the mold I have, it would help if I had a little more working time, as I am injecting several cavities with the goop in a large syringe after mixing. Having a little less visocity would help me also. Thanks ahead for any insight.

Rocko
rocko

Re: Flex 80 question

Postby dahlberg » Sun May 20, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi R
Cooling the components, including the mold before you mix them will slow down the cure time a bit, but would not help at all with the viscosity.
That's about the only possible solution I can think of. Maybe Mike has a trick up his sleeve. What are you making?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rocko » Mon May 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Larry,
I am making a new knob for power handles that is just more ergonomic than what's available out there. I have an 8 cavity mold, with an injection hole and vent on the opposite side. I always seem to leave a small air pocket on either the injection, or vent hole, and if the Flex 80 was a bit more fluid, it should push the injection hole air out, as this side is lower and I am injecting it thru the vent. I am injecting four at a time, and it just seems to start gelling up a bit too quick for gravity to do it's duty. Hopefully Mike can chime in here when he gets a chance.

Rocko
rocko

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed May 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Cooling extends the pot life but will thicken it a little bit.

Warming the material thins it out, makes it easier to mix and pour BUT you have to dance! No taking a phone call after pouring the two together.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Hitlist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:36 am

I would try injecting from the low end as air will rise out. Like filling an outdrive.

Just a thought. When mold is filled maybe run a heat gun over it and tap a bit.

Thanx
Hitlist

Postby rocko » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Hit list
I found that adding a small amount of mineral spirits to my cup before stirring worked great. It thins out the flex 80 enough to allow a better pour and less air gets in while stirring as it takes a bit to mix it in. I haven't seen any noticeable changes to the urethane, but the product is fairly thick. It may be a little stiffer, but tear strength is good.

Tanks for chiming in.

Rocko
rocko

Return to Lure Making