Lure Covering Material

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lure Covering Material

Postby Nolegsinmiami » Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 am

I would like to make a few wire through prop baits and top water lures. If I sculpted a template out a hard material like wood or hard cork, insert wires for hooks, then paint, add eyes, etc. – what type of material could I cover it with to give it a hard clear plastic indestructible (or very tough) covering? My background is fly tying I think about how we cover some flies in epoxy, so I am thinking something similar but more durable and doesn’t yellow.

Thanks!!
Nolegsinmiami

Re: Lure Covering Material

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Epoxy does work well enough, but as you probably recall from making epoxy body flies, you need to keep turning the lure.

I made a lure turner to keep my lures turning while the clear coat cures/dries. You can find several versions on YouTube and other sites.

Devcon 2 Ton is a common epoxy used because it does not yellow quickly over time and it is strong. I often just use generic slow cure (24 hour) epoxy, but I usually loose my lures before they could yellow anyway. :lol:

Another option is Envirolite, a clear coat used on craft projects, that mixes like Epoxy, applies like thin epoxy, etc.

It is possible to use automotive clear coat, but it is dangerous and requires proper air venting, proper mask, and ...... well I won't use it.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Nolegsinmiami » Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Has anyone used Alumilite Clear for this type of application?

I guess I could also mold the body out of boat building foam, insert wires, then fiberglass…..
Nolegsinmiami

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 pm

The clear needs to be molded thicker or you need to preheat your mold first.

Also, it is much slower curing then the white.

IF you made a mold of your lure, then used the method for growing the mold, then suspended your lure in the mold, then poured the clear, it PROBABLY would work.

I have had no need to try this myself. NOTE that you would need a pressure vessel to eliminate bubbles.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu May 03, 2012 6:46 pm

We actually carry an epoxy base system called the Amazing Clear Cast which coats lures well. Dry time is 18-24 hours.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making