Floating Alumisol

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Floating Alumisol

Postby daddy.bob » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:59 pm

What is the best mix of microballoons and Alumisol to create a truly high floating surface lure?
daddy.bob

Re: Floating Alumisol

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:54 pm

I can't answer that, the question begs the question; what do you consider "truly high floating"? Also, are you asking about the hard plastic (Alumilite) or the soft plastic (alumisol)?

Regarding the hard plastic, check out the lure photos section to see a graph I did on microballons in Alumilite White.

http://www.makelure.com/Lures.cfm

I have not done a density curve with Alumisol. When adding Microballons to Alumisol, it hardens the plastic, and clouds the plastic, so you have other issues to deal with as well. I usually expect the clouding of the plastic, and I add some softener if needed to reduce stiffness.

I guess that the answser is that this time you will just need to experiment. Perhaps in the future I will have the money to buy some Alumisol to experiment with a density curve.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby daddy.bob » Wed May 02, 2012 11:37 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have been working with plastisol soft plastic and microballons. I am trying to pour topwater baits that consistanaly float rather than suspend near the surface or slowly sink, as mine do more often than I wish. I do not want to make hollow lures. I am injection molding solid alumisol soft plasisol in my own two piece mold, made with High Strength two. I want the lure to float a 2.0 double hook. any ideas out there.
daddy.bob

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu May 03, 2012 12:07 am

I made some muskie floating worms that worked. I made them 1/4" in diameter and over a foot long.

If I am to have any chance of helping, I would need the volume of your lure, the weight of your hook(s), and the diameter at the head.

A photo would help.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making