Making a mold

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Making a mold

Postby Bobby c » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 am

Sorry for a question that may have been asked a 1000 times!

I want to make umbrella rigs with multiple wire, for lures and for blades to be attached

What material can I use to make the mold itself? After I create the mold then place the wires what material (resin ?) would I want to use to pour. I really want it as light as possible since the rig will be weighted by multiple lures

I pour lead in spinnerbaits and jig molds now want to create my own mold for rigs....where do I buy the material? Lowes home depot etc?
Bobby c

Re: Making a mold

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Hobby Lobby and some art supply stores carry the Alumilite products. They have the Mold Putty, or Quick Set, or the High Strength 2 or 3. Of course you can also buy directly from http://www.makelure.com/products.cfm.

The directions for making the molds can be found in the How To section of that web site. http://www.makelure.com/HowTos.cfm

The directions for making the alabama rig is also there.

I get my wire from the art supply stores, hardware stores, etc. I use the .025 Music Wire. It is super tough, very springy, but tough to work with. The makelure.com site also sells an easier to work with wire for making spinner baits.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Making a mold

Postby BassinK9 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:34 pm

As usual, the Archer hits the bullseye..... I buy all my stuff from Hobby Lobby except the wires and swivels. I would highly recommend Quick Set Rubber over either HS2 or HS3 because its a little more rigid and seems to give me the best possible detail.

K9
BassinK9

Return to Lure Making