You get better the more you do! LOL

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

You get better the more you do! LOL

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:34 pm

I thought that it might be fun to show some pictures of the progress I have had in trying to copy and improve a lure. The top two pictures are of a copy of full body pictures of the River2Sea S-Waver that I molded. I also thought that it might be fun to tell others what I have learned in the process.

The S-Waver is a favorite of mine, but color options were limited and they are still hard to keep in stock, so desperation "made me do it". :lol:

I used synthetic clay, no sulfur, to plug the joint and then made a two piece mold with HS2 from the hard body kit.

You can see the joint location that was plugged with clay, but it is a one piece blank at this time. I experimented with alumidust on these, and as you can see the top and first was not nearly as good as the second. If the lure was ready to fish with, the second lure color would be worthy of fishing with no additional paint of clear coat.

I knew that I wanted to get to a two piece lure, like the original, so the next lure you see is actually made of Wax. I bought some low temperature sculpting wax and melted it and poured it into the HS2 mold. With wax, it was easier to cut and shape the joint. I then textured the sides to give it a scale effect and made a new mold from HS2.

The first few lures I poured started with straight Alumilite White, then Alumilite White with microballons. It became apparent very early that the old trick of drilling and placing lead ballast in the bottom was not going to work. The lure is just far too difficult to get that desired action, the correct center of gravity. Furthermore, I want to "improve" the action.

Mike mentioned in one of his post that you could mix microballons and tungsten powder in the same batch, then the microballons would rise and the tungsten would settle, as long as you poured within about 35 seconds. The next lure is the result of that test. The first thing to mention is that the same Alumidust pattern was used on the 4th and 5th lure from the top. The tungsten powder stains the Alumilite White, turning it black to dark gray. This means that if you want to use Alumidust, you need to use colors that you would normally put on a black primer.

The next lure, the second from the bottom, was also done with Tungsten, but I tried something else. I mixed up some Alumilite White with Microballons, then I poured a small amount in each part of the mold and rolled the mold around and around to stick the Alumilite White and Microballons to the surface to make a shell. I then did the Tungsten and microballons just like before. As you can see, this one came out pretty well, with a good Alumidust result. Yes, it could be better, but I did not take my time when I dusted it. Still, there were problems.

Neither of the last two versions had a low enough center of gravity for my desires. They swam OK, about as well as the original, but not up to my desires.

The last lure shown took a hint from Larry Dahlberg. Larry mentioned that he has done some lures with an Alumilite White bottom and a foam top. I have done some versions with the Alumidust, but at this point, I wanted to be able to see how the foam and Alumilite White fused, so I skipped this part.

This version used Alumilite White, straight, on the bottom. I rolled it around a little to get Alumilite White into some areas I wanted to be stronger. To save my Tungsten, I poured a pre-measured amount of #9 lead shot on top of the White after about 4 minutes. A few minutes later, I poured in the remainder using Alumilite 610 Foam. My previous test showed that the foam is as light and as strong as balsa, so if I used the Alumilite White and the 610 foam together, I figured I would get the perfect center of gravity, and still get a strong lure.

Thanks Larry! :idea: :idea: :idea:

The bottom lure swims like a dream, is strong, and it is fairly easy to make.

I am never satisfied, so as you can guess, I am changing my molds. I am not happy with my texture so I will do a different, smoother, surface next time. Other lures are to come, but at this time, the bottom lure is in my paint room ready for my airbrush. :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: You get better the more you do! LOL

Postby johndtuttle » Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 pm

photos?

curious to see your results.

best
johndtuttle

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed May 02, 2012 4:59 pm

http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... 10_665.jpg

Sorry, I thought I had attached this. Let me know if you can get to it now.

I have made more since that post, and they are in painting. I will try to update them later.
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu May 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Love the progression. This type of learning carries over to every bait you'll ever make going forward. Thanks for cutting out some of the learning curve (successes and failures) for the rest of us.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... etails.jpg

I wanted to show the final mold and a sample lure. The final results are a lowered center of gravity, a lighter tail, better action at slow speeds then the original, and no rattles. I can add rattles if desired, but I find that rattles turn off fish in hard fished water.

Notice that I have used cotter pins as hinges and hook hangers. By bending them as shown, they will not pull out of the lure. I used brass for the line tie, but it too is also bent to prevent pull-out.

If this were a Non-jointed lure, then a single hook hanger might be better (a through wire). Because of the joint, I found that I can either bend my own hinges or just use small cotter pins. With brass, stainless steel, and aluminum pins available, it is almost a no brainer.

An after note if you will. This is an improvement, or a copy if you desire, of an existing commercial lure by River2sea - S-Waver. It is a difficult lure to get right. Careful balance and proper weight are necessary to make this novel lure work. The fact that I was able to improve on it shows just want can be done in the home shop, with Alumilite Products.

This lure uses both HS2 and HS3 for the mold. Remember that silicone sticks only to silicone, so it is easy to remove some of the mold and replace it with another material. This lure uses lead shot for weight in the belly, with Alumilite White and microballons for strength in the belly, nose, joint, and tail (partial roto-molding), with 610 Foam for the remainder.

Have fun, I sure have.
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:13 am

NICE! I made one about ten inches long.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:17 pm

WOW, I BET THAT DEVIL SWIMS WELL.
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making