More mistakes to avoid - Microballons and AL-white

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

More mistakes to avoid - Microballons and AL-white

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:40 pm

OK, I got lazy and discovered how to NOT do something. :oops:

I have been making some lures that used a small amount of Alumilite White and Microballons (100% by volume). In Larry's videos and workshop DVD, he mixes half of the microballons in part A, half in part B, then mixes together. But in some videos, when he is not adding the microballons, he just measures Part A, then Part B in the same container by weight.

:oops: :oops: :oops: OK, so I thought why not just put part A in, mix in my microballons, mix well, then put in Part B, mix well and pour. THIS WAS NOT A GOOD IDEA. It turns out that part of the Part A is absorbed by the microballons and even when mixing in the Part B well, it did not cure completely. Even after 12 hours, the result was a sticky and week mix. :oops: :oops: :oops:

For small mixes, I can mix Part A and Part B in the same container, by weight, then add my microballons, but remember how fast the stuff cures, so this only works for small mixes and when you are FAST.

In summary, best to follow the instructions. :lol: It is still best to mix half of the microballons in part A, half in part B, then mix the two together. :idea:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: More mistakes to avoid - Microballons and AL-white

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Do as I say not as I do ...

I do it exactly the way you experienced problems all the time. The only difference is I normally overload the microballoons into the B side because it is thinner and I can get more in before it turns to a paste, then I add my A side. The trick is to THOROUGHLY mix it. Because you are now mixing a watery substance (the A side) and a thick pancake batter substance (B side with 150%+ microballoons ... nearly paste), they do not want to mix well together. Over mix it, scrape the sides, mix it again and when you get it totally homogenous, you are good to pour.

The stickiness probably came from not getting it totally mixed homogenous. It is much tougher to get it mixed well doing this rather than mixing the two separately (highly recommended). I highly recommend sticking to the original instructions UNLESS you are as completely impatient and obstinent as I am and willing to overmix and commit to making sure you have it mixed thoroughly.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: More mistakes to avoid - Microballons and AL-white

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:52 pm

LOL - My last batch I mixed A and B, then dumped in the microballons and stirred like a wild man.

Four quick pours in 5 minutes - and it worked.

BETTER Pre- measure the micro. :lol:

Edit - Note that this was in different molds, not the same one.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making