marlin jig

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

marlin jig

Postby Ron Beveridge » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am

Hey Larry, where do I find the video/tutorial on making a marlin jig head?? The one with the precast fish head on a brass tube inside the clear head.

Thanks
Ron
Ron Beveridge

Re: marlin jig

Postby dahlberg » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am

hmm. I think I did that one on a tv show and we might not yet have it posted. I'll check!
It involves starting out with a very, very smooth master, followed by a mold made of high strength 2 or 3.
The head and tube are cast inside the mold. A pressure pot (harbor freight) is used to compress the bubbles so it comes out crystal clear.
Using the front portion of an existing lure, I made a "fish head" mold with a hole thru it from which I cast the inner head. Can add #8 or 9 shot, keel lead, tungsten to inner head for weight or balance. Of course eyes really look cool because of the lens effect created by the curvature of the head.
I put them on a drill and polish them with buffing compound then finish off with high grade auto polish.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: marlin jig

Postby Ron Beveridge » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:29 pm

I hope this one gets to you!! If you could keep me informed as how to view the first part of the video I'd really!! appreciate it
Best wishes
Ron
Ron Beveridge

Return to Lure Making