temporary molds??

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

temporary molds??

Postby ChubbyChaser » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:13 am

Is there a material (like plaster of paris) or something I can test a whiggley design before I commit to a master? Thanks
ChubbyChaser

Re: temporary molds??

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm currently working on a new soft plastic frog design and am trying to dial in the legs to get the action I want as I don't really love anything on the market. So after I sculpt up a new design, I use Alumilite Mold Putty to quickly make a silicone rubber mold of it. The putty cures in 10 minutes and as soon as I press the putty over the mold, I start heating up my Alumisol. By the time I have my Alumisol ready, the mold is done and I'm pouring my first prototype. Within 20 minutes of starting to mold it, I have a soft plastic prototype to test.

This will enable you to test your design. You can make 1 or 2 piece molds with it as well. If you are making a 2 piece mold you must use Vaseline, Alumilite's UMR mold release, or Alumilite's Rubber to Rubber mold release to prevent the two halves from bonding to each other. If you are going to make a 2 piece mold, simply mix up enough putty to cover half the item and press it up tight to your original. Once the first half has cured, mold release it, mix up the second batch and press it over it. Once the second half has cured, cut your pour hole, and you are ready to pour your first part. Odds are you'll have a little sloppier seam line which can easily be trimmed but it will allow you to make a quick mold and test it before making a High Strength mold. The other option is to simply wrap the putty around the original like I did with the blue gill in one our videos and make a split mold on the top edge.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby ChubbyChaser » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks again Mike. I see your from Kalamazoo. I fished Austin a few years back and got some good muskie out of there, haven't heard anything about it for a few years now(since they opened it to spearing), Do you fish it at all? I might make a trip that way for the opener.
ChubbyChaser

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm

I have fished it a number of times due to it being close to home and having limited numbers of lakes close to Kazoo that contain musky. Interesting body of water being the deepest spot is maybe 10 or 11 feet. There are some big fish in there. Yeah, its really too bad they allow people to spear it. That was one of the many positives about this winter being so warm. I'm sure a lot less fish were harvested due to minimal ice.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making