New Whiggley How To Video

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

New Whiggley How To Video

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:59 am

Here is a first look at a video I have just posted on making a whiggley from scratch using Sculpey. Some of this is repetitive but due to the amount of questions and number of people trying to make them and struggling with how to make the master, I thought doing another how to video on it may provide some assistance.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDly3xvcpdg

We will adding this on the MakeLure.com site but it may take a couple days so I thought I'd post it here first.

Hope it is helpful.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Re: New Whiggley How To Video

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:53 pm

Very nice Mike, very nice.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby recon321 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 am

Nice video, I tried the making half first but had issues making it look like I wanted. Then I baked a piece of sculpey clay that was 1 thick 3inches wide and 10 inches long.
Used a template to draw my shape and small bandsaw to cut it out, then a belt sander and some hand sanding to get to where I wanted.
recon321

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Just shows how many different ways there are to make the master.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Watchhiller » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:55 am

hey recon. i learned a trick on the web from an oldtimer lure carver. it involves using 2 blocks instead of one. once glued together it gives you a 'vertical lateral line'. much like one gets from the sculpy baked half at a time, but with wood or alumilite white it would be much more rigid. this makes it much easier to mirror one side to the other by eye and make the master symmetrical. in other words it gives your eye a reference point where it had none before. this also would come in handy if one were to make a two peice mold. the line of seperation between the two blocks(the glue line) is the perfect guide for where to build your clay up to. use your idea, but pour 2 blocks of material half the size lengthwise(ie. half as deep). glue them together and there is your vertical reference. it also makes it easier when placing hardware and even a reference line to place a crank bait lip to the perpendicular of or whatever! hope this helps.
Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby recon321 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:24 pm

Good idea, I'll try that on my next master
recon321

Postby lucky stick » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Great video! The tip about making half a master at a time was helpful. I was pleased to find that the sculpey bonds to itself when baked. I also found that the baked sculpey wet sands nicely.

My question is: Do you know what size tubing goes with the various sized clear eyes? (8 mm, 12mm, 15 mm eyes)

I want to have a quick stop at the hardware store to get the appropriate sized tubing before we cast our next mold.

Thanks!
lucky stick

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 pm

I'll mic the outside diameters of the eye stems tomorrow and post them. Good question as it saves some filing later if its not correct.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making