Molds calculating volume for silicone

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Molds calculating volume for silicone

Postby eriksat1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:48 am

I saw another way to calculate your mold box volume that looks pretty easy. Make your mold box and put your piece inside, then fill it to the height you want your silicone with dry rice, then pour the dry rice back out of the mold box into a measuring cup. Then that amount is how much silicone you need.
eriksat1

Re: Molds calculating volume for silicone

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:51 am

Yes, any way of doing a "dry" volume displacement will work. I've heard of people using sand and even water (then having to wait until the box is completely dry before pouring) but never heard of dry ice being used before though. The only down side is that you still need to measure the silicone by weight by a 10:1 mix ratio with the catalyst. My suggestions is to then tear the bucket on your scale, fill your base almost to the line you measured with the dry ice, and then add your 10% catalyst by weight. This will give you approx 105% of the material needed which allows for the residue and minimal waste that remains in the mix bucket.

Good tip.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby eriksat1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:43 am

RICE, not ice, rice is easy use and pour and clean. I guess I should not have said dry rice, looks too much like dry ice. lol
eriksat1

Postby dd12783 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:45 am

i always use water,and just give the mold box a little shake.So far i have not seen the water droplets left affect anything.
dd12783

Return to Lure Making