Mr. W's Tail color, expond, please

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Re: Mr. W's Tail color, expond, please

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:24 pm

In my opinion, I don't think color or contrast is nearly as important as action. The thing I believe makes Whiggley so versatile in so many fishing conditions is the way in which you can make them ... weight, softness, and rigging method. Depending on the weight you can use one Whiggley as a teasing slow twitch style bait that just hangs in one place and drives fish crazy or by adding tungsten you can get it to dive and twitch or burn it as fast as you can reel it and it will still stay 1' under the surface, or no weight and skip the thing on the surface like a fleeing baitfish. The softness is also key. The softer ... equals more deliberate hard kick out upon stopping it after burning the bait.

The shape and design are the trick. One you have a good mold, you can dial each Whiggley into its own charactreristics for specific situations. Does a contrasting tail help, I believe so but not as much as other factors Whiggley has built into its design. I like very natural colors for very clear water. For more murky, high pressured and virgin water ... I just think showing the fish something they've never seen before makes a significant difference ... much more than color.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 pm

I agree Mike, but I am not so sure that Larry is planning on using the advanced mold for just color options. I expect that he will also tinker with tail shapes - Larry can't leave anything alone. :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:14 pm

You are correct. The real reason we did that was the exact reason you mention ... we made a big paddle tail as well as a double curly tail that located perfectly onto the mold for the body which gives Larry 3 different lures in basically one mold. I'll try to get some pictures of them on the site tomorrow. The paddle tail requires you to pour a much stiffer version of the Alumisol to make it swim properly but I was very impressed with how differently the three lures worked when Larry through them in the test tank at the Milwaukee Musky Show last month.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making