Pouring small bait?

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Pouring small bait?

Postby eriksat1 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I made a alumilite mold for some small plastic grubs for spring crappie. These grubs are only 1-1/2" long. The mold I made is for 10 pieces, maybe I over did it with 10. Would it be easier to cut the mold in half and have 2 molds of 5? Anyway is there an easier way to pour them than with a 2 cup Pyrex glass measuring cup? Maybe some type of a small ladle, or injector I could use for pouring small amounts? It doesn't take very much alumisol to fill each piece.
eriksat1

Re: Pouring small bait?

Postby Olash » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Good question. I'm about to do a similiar thing. I'm wondering about using a syringe to squirt the alumisol in. Might be a possibility but I haven't tried it.
Olash

Postby shenlonco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:29 pm

I would do half at a time.
shenlonco

Postby JLURE » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:30 pm

I had the same problem with insect molds that I was trying to pour. What I did was, I got 2 pyrex cups the first one was used to heat the plastic in the microwave. The 2nd one was used to pour the baits, but on this one I took a metal cake frosting tip and attached it to the spout of the pyrex cup with epoxy. This will give you a very small, precision flow. Just don't put the metal tipped cup in the microwave or else fire works!!! Ha ha hope this helps.
JLURE

Postby eriksat1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:47 am

Something like that sounds like it would work better, maybe even preheat the the second cup with spout.
eriksat1

Return to Lure Making