Making hollow baits

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Making hollow baits

Postby Small Water Pro » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Larry and everyone.
Im a new lure maker and really want to know how to make hollow baits. What would I have to do in the molds to make it work? Any one could help me could reply or Pm me at sjsuccess@hotmail.com. Thanks to you. Small Water Pro
Small Water Pro

Re: Making hollow baits

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Are you talking about soft or hard baits?? The easiest method of doing either Alumisol or White with some microballoons in it (the microballoons thicken the viscosity just a little and coat the mold better) is to slush cast the material in the mold. With Alumisol, I've even poured it full, let it sit for 15 seconds and then dump it back out. It works really well. You can also come back with another color that looks really cool. Then allow it to cool. The Alumilite White and microballoons is similar but you just keep rotating it until the resin starts to cure and doesn't flow anymore. Larry does this in one of the original Whopper Plopper videos we have makelure.com under How To's. After that, he fills it with our 610 structural foam.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Small Water Pro » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Im talking soft baits such as hollow frogs. Would not filling skin with foam work? Wish I knew how to make a mold for hollow baits as I have some lure Ideas. Thanks
Small Water Pro

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:37 am

Make the mold the exact same way you would if you were casting it solid. If the mold is open anywhere ... in the back where the legs come out or somewhere else ... simply fill the mold with Alumisol, wait 15 seconds and pour it out. Then lay it with the belly down so the material will settle toward the belly giving you a thicker heavier base.

Larry has also shown this using Alumilite's Flex urethane. He slush casts it into a closed 2 piece mold, then right when it starts to gel he lays it flat which builds up the belly.

Mold process should not change whether you are doing it hollow or not.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Lure Making