Mr Wiggly Tips

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Mr Wiggly Tips

Postby hooks40 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 am

I've been on the board for a while now and have appreciated everones contributions. Been buried in the workshop a good part of the winter making baits. Here are some random tips regarding the lure making process. They may help someone...

1) I've made 2 pc molds, but find the 1 piece easier to create.
2) Drill a hole in your original where the head pin is located. Place the pin in the original before casting. Also, glue a small washer to the nose of the lure so you have a place for the line tie.
3) Cast your 1 piece mold but make sure you have 2 pour holes so all the air will escape. Put 1 near the tail so you can easily pour different color tails.
4) Slice the top of the mold open long ways with an exacto knife, but don't cut open the tail part.
5) It's harder to apply alumidust to this mold, but it is easier to make.
6) When you are making your brass wire and you slip the tube in one end, pinch it down a bit with pliers so it stays centered when you pour
7) a nail works great for weighting the lure and is much easier than the powder
8) If you want more colors, Spike-it can be added to the heated alumisol and mixed before you pour. Flourescent green, orange, chartruese and a little scent to boot. Be careful, when you pour in the Spike-it as it will splatter when it hits the hot alumisol.
9) You can also paint on the Spike-it after the lure cools
10) 4-1 ratio of softner works, but 3.5-1 or 3-1 wiggles a lot better, but the lures don't last nearly as long.

If you have questions about the products, call Alumilite. They have the BEST customer service!!

Ive made a 8" (1 piece) and a 11" (2-piece) so far. I was out striper fishing the other day and was getting a few fish on the standard Redfin, metal-lip, swimbait presentations and most of the strikes were tenative. After a while, I decided to give wiggly a try and it really lit them up. More and bigger. Thanks Larry! I sure do appreciate your knowledge sharing. Can't wait to unleash the big one on some Muskies!

Steve
hooks40

Re: Mr Wiggly Tips

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:45 am

Great insight. Thanks for sharing this info!

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Seachaser » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm

I wish you had posted these about 2 days earlier. I had just got through with my molds when I read these. Thanks for the info! One question: Where and when do you put the washer?
Seachaser

Postby hooks40 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:56 am

I put a tiny washer glued to the tip of the nose of my original before I made the mold. When you take the original out, there is a perfect space for the brass line tie to go. This ensures that your line tie is centered, much like Larry demoed with the 2 piece mold.
hooks40

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Excellent. I sure agree with the one piece molds, but I like the alumidust too much so I am re-desiging mine into two and three piece molds to make it easier to dust.

I must not be too bright, the three piece molds are killing me. :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Seachaser » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I am going to try gluing the washer to the mold. I will let you know if it works.
Seachaser

Return to Lure Making