Lure keeps spining around instead of swiming. HELP!

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

Lure keeps spining around instead of swiming. HELP!

Postby JLURE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Hey Guys,
I'm trying to build a lure but insted of swiming when I reel it in, it just spins around in a circle!!!!! What am I doing wrong, I've tried everything..... Please Help....
Thanks
Jason
JLURE

Re: Lure keeps spining around instead of swiming. HELP!

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Does the bait have a lip? Sometimes, lipped baits are very sensitive and need dialing in, especially if it is a small lip. The other big issue is where it is weighted. Larry is very good and understanding weight and center of gravity as well as the correlation to both.

If it is a swim bait or soft bait, weight needs to be added to act as a keel. Please tell us what type of bait you are making as well as what you are doing for weight.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby JLURE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Hey Mike
Well I'm working on both a soft plastic and a hard bait. I can't figure either one out though. I have also tried with and without a lip. I am also working on a jitterbug type and can't seem to even come close to that...

Also I am looking for a suction cup type of material, almost like a clear transparent silicone type of material. Kinda of type of Larry's diving frog lip.

Thanks Jason
JLURE

Postby Seachaser » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:58 am

Have your tried them with the hooks? The hooks will usually keep it straight. Also weight in the bottom may help.
Seachaser

Postby Watchhiller » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:32 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 pm

JLURE, it is easiest to start by coping existing lures first. As you learn the basics, it becomes easier. Also, some types of baits are just super tough to balance.

A low center of balance is key to most styles of lures. Other lures, like the flatfish and swimwizz, are not critical on low center of balance.

As mentioned, the weight and position of hooks works as a ballast on many types of lures, but some need more.

Additionally, it also helps on some lures to have a top that floats. Am am working on a lure that requires that the top be less dense then water, and the bottom is much more dense. If it does not have that balance, then this lure spins or at least rolls onto it's side.

If you could post a picture or two of what you are trying to to make, on the Makelure.com web site, then we might be able to make some suggestions.

As for the platic like what Larry is using on the Diving Frog, well that is not so easy. The Flex 80 should be close to it, but River2Seausa is making the actual lures. The link to the Flex 80 is http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=Casting Resins . The material is not clear like the plastic, but perhaps.........
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby Seachaser » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 pm

On his DVD, Larry put micro balloons in the top half of a lure and straight plastic in the bottom. Any body tried this? Wonder if you can put balloons in alumisol soft plastic?
Seachaser

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes, and yes. Larry has also experimented with normal Alumilite in the bottom and 610 foam in the top half. With experience, both work very well. Both will bond well to the original and you really don't see a seam most of the time.

I have also added microballons to alumisol. The ballons want to float, so you need to stir often. It also turns the alumisol cloudy, and it makes it a little less flexible, but it makes it float higher.
aka anglinarcher

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 pm

"aka anglinarcher wrote:
> As for the platic like what Larry is using on the Diving Frog, well that is
> not so easy. The Flex 80 should be close to it, but River2Seausa is making
> the actual lures. The link to the Flex 80 is
> http://www.alumilite.com/Category.cfm?Category=Casting Resins . The
> material is not clear like the plastic, but perhaps........."

I wanted to update this a little. I expect that the Flex 80 might be a little too stiff, but the other Flex strengths might be more to your liking.

Also, lures must be, for the most part, symmetric left and right. If the diving bill is a little skewed, the lure will spin.

If the diving bill is too large, it will spin. If it is too small, it will have little action.

Lures can be difficult to create.
aka anglinarcher

Return to Lure Making