mold question

Questions about Making Your Own Lures

mold question

Postby Ben_Webb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Larry I've been a devoted follower of 'The Hunt For Big Fish' since the first episode. I was one of those kids who woke up on saturday mourning at 6:00am, ran to the living room and watched tv until mid mourning. The difference was that instead of watching cartoons like most I watched fishing shows. Among those your show was and still is one of my favorites. I remember how exciting it was to watch as you would trek into these remote fairytale-like locations in south america and catch those beautiful peacock bass and redtail cats. Just want to say thanks for being who you are and doing what you do because it has helped shape me into the man I am today. Fishing has and always will be a huge passion of mine in fact some say that my soul has gills. I dont know about that but it has taught me alot about the outdoors and life in general and you and others like you played a strong role in that just from your tv shows and tv personalitys so for that thank you. Now to my question: I recently learned of the lure making contest an am thrilled about all aspects. When I was a teenager I recieved a patent on a spinnerbait that was and still is unlike anything out there. I tried to get it off the ground several times but never suceeded. I even had a few companys show interest in the thing (like pure fishing to name a few) but to cut a long story short life got in the way. I'm 28 now and have had it on the back burner for some time now but this contest has brought it back to life. The plann was to make the blade out of sheet metal like willow and colorado blades are stamped from but there is no way I can achieve this because my blade needs to be cut out with a precision lazer (which is expensive to say the least). I once saw an episode of your show where you fashioned some muskie blades with clear resin and some tablespoons. You put glitter in one and some dye in the other. My question is have you ever tried making a mold (one or two part) for a spinnerbait blade and poured it with the alumilite clear. I think this idea may just be crazy enough to work however I'm not sure about how strong it will be because it will be thinner than the blades you made in the show. Just looking for some professional insight. If this works I plann to enter it into the contest. Thanks again from an old country boy in Mississippi.
Ben_Webb

Re: mold question

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:22 am

Hi Ben
Thanks for you kind words. yes, I have poured blades out of resin; both clear and opaque. In fact, I poured a few this week! Obviously they are not nearly as strong as steel. Polycarbonate, like the tough clear plastic lips are made of, can also be used for blades.
good luck!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Ben_Webb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Does alumilite offer a polycarbonate resin?
Ben_Webb

Postby dahlberg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Don't think anyone makes what you need in a resin. Just sheets. Can heat and bend.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Ben_Webb » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm

Ill figure somthing out then thanks for the insight
Ben_Webb

Return to Lure Making